Lauren's Reviews > The Sisters of the Winter Wood

The Sisters of the Winter Wood by Rena Rossner

Wow.

This book was absolutely incredible.

It’s dark, beautiful and atmospheric. This is one of the best books I have read...ever. I was completely captivated by the beautiful writing, the atmospheric world building and the dark fairytale being told.

I loved how this was about finding yourself and learning to not be afraid or ashamed of who you truly are. I loved how it is about sibling bonds and the loyalty between 2 sisters. I, myself, always value loyalty and I am loyal to my family no matter what they’ve done or how they annoy me, they are my family and I wouldn’t change them for the world.

The writing in this book was captivating, we have Liba’s chapters told in the normal chapter format & Laya’s chapters are written in verse. It took only a couple of chapters to get used to this and I love it. I loved how different it was to read and how it made the story even more magical.

I really enjoyed both Liba & Laya, I found Liba to be stronger than her sister and her loyalty was so fierce and unwavering even when Laya did the most stupid things and said really hurtful things, but again, as a sibling I understand how Liba was able to forgive her. Some of Laya’s choices I found a bit questionable but I guess that’s down to the spell she was under.

I got really strong Wintersong vibes from this and that’s probably due to the fact that it’s like a fairytale retelling of Goblin Market which, even though I haven’t read, I seem to be obsessed with books that have this sort of vibe going on and I need more books like it!!

I love how this felt like reading a dark Russian fairytale and I love the aspect of the Jews - which I have never read a book with Jews in before that I was completely enthralled by this story. I also love anything that has a Russian vibe going on so this book was perfect for me.

I will admit that this book starts out a little slow but that never put me off. The powerful story makes up for this in so many ways that I couldn’t help but fall completely in love with this book.

Hands down one of my best reads of 2018, and if you’re unsure wether to pick it up - I urge you to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters of the Winter Wood.

November 3, 2018 – Started Reading
November 3, 2018 – Shelved
November 4, 2018 –
page 151
November 5, 2018 –
page 261
November 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Claudia ✨ I have this on my shelf and was planning to pick it up as the weather gets even colder here in Sweden, but maybe I should try reading it even sooner? your review definitely made me crave it!!