Mike's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: e-book, borrowed, library, 2012

I really liked this book. It was highly readable, engaging, and pretty believable. There were several points where I felt emotionally invested in the book and was moved to continue reading because I wanted to know what happened. The Miss Celia baby thing is incredibly gross and I had to but the book down and walk away for a few minutes because it was making me nauseous--that's never happened before! Towards the end of the book, I became concerned, and I found myself reading a little faster because I wanted to know what happened. I can see why this book is/was so popular and such a hit with reading clubs. The author's a great writer.

At the end, past the acknowledgements, the author describes her own personal experiences that lead to the writing of this book, a section I found incredibly cool and helpful. I have never seen a "this is why I did it--this is how I lived it first" section in any books I recall having read before this one. Definite plus. In the section, the author addresses the fine line she walked when addressing the seriousness level of the book, and that's one area where my opinion differs with hers (and why I deducted a star). Sure, bad things happened to the maids, just like bad things happened to their bosses. But I feel that the job of being a maid in the south was made to be just a little bit less serious than it probably was. I wish I had more than my gut instinct to base this on, but I don't. The constant gossipy, funny comments made me laugh, but they also made me take the hard stuff a little less seriously.

That said, overall I'm very happy with the book. It was a great way to kick off my Goodreads reading challenge. I will probably read future books by this author (who is from Atlanta--didn't know that) in the future. I am glad I checked it out as a library e-book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

January 7, 2012 – Started Reading