Robin's Reviews > Something Like Gravity

Something Like Gravity by Amber   Smith

bookshelves: 2019-releases, contemporary, ya, 2019, lgbt

I received an arc of this from Simon and Schuster via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This book is wonderful and important and I drank up every word ❤❤❤

Summary
After a terrible year, and coming out as transgender Chris needs an escape. So he goes to stay with his aunt in a small town. His first day there, he almost runs over his new neighbor, Maia. Maia is battling her own demons after the recent and sudden death of her older sister. The two of them form and bond and slowly heal the wounds of the last year.

Overview
This is told in alternating chapters from dual POVs - Chris and Maia

This book is soft and precious but it definitely hits on some tough topics. Chris has just come out transgender and his parents are struggling with the revelation. Chris was beaten to the point of hospitalization by members of his track team. Maia's parents are divorced but still living together and the tension has created a uncomfortable and hostile living environment. And Maia's sister died suddenly of an undiscovered heart defect leaving her reeling about their strained relationship.

But while all of this could have been overwhelming, Amber Smith managed to make this book feel hopeful and inspiring.

Content Warnings: Bullying, Death, Homophobia

What I Liked
1. Everything. Honestly.
2. Chris and Maia's relationship made my heart burst. The handled each other with such care and respect. They helped each other through some insanely difficult things
3. The representation in this book was wonderful. While I personally don't identify with the representation, Amber Smith herself is queer. The author note at the end (which I highly recommend reading! It made me cry.) talks about her own experiences and her inspiration for the story.
4. That ending. I can't say too much because spoilers. But it was perfection.
5. This whole story felt so raw and real. Chris's parent's struggling, Maia lashing out and lying, Maia's parents shutting down. I loved how messy and imperfect things were. This story felt like it could belong to many people.
6. This book really focused on the importance of consent. Chris and Maia were always checking in with each other. While I love and sexy, domineering story as much as the next person, this was the real deal. This is what real love and respect is.

What I Didn't Like
There is literally nothing I didn't adore about this book. I was completely consumed by this story from start to finish and never wanted it to end.

Pick. Up. This. Book. ❤❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Gravity.

November 2, 2018 – Shelved
May 28, 2019 –
page 169
May 29, 2019 –
page 278
69.5% "Omg this book is so soft and precious"
May 30, 2019 –