megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Regulators

The Regulators by Richard Bachman

bookshelves: stephen-king-read
Read 2 times. Last read June 23, 2019 to June 29, 2019.

**4.5-stars rounded up**

To the residents of Poplar Street, in suburban Wentworth, Ohio, July 15, 1996 seems like any other summer day. The paperboy is dutifully tending to his route, the Reed twins are entertaining young ladies and the corner store is functioning like a well-oiled machine.

Not one of them suspects that the proverbial shit is about to hit the fan.

The Regulators are coming to Poplar Street and they're coming for blood!

It's hard to imagine a 475-page novel, taking place in one afternoon on one suburban street, making you cringe in anticipation but this one sure does.

We follow this set cast of characters from the minute The Regulators first come onto their street until the bitter end. Some we love, some we hate but in the end, no one escapes their fate.

You may wonder, yeah, but what's it all about?

Trust me when I say, it's best to go into this knowing as little as possible, but for those of you who are just going to insist on knowing more, I will give you this one small clue: (view spoiler)

This novel is hella violent and dark so if that isn't your cup of tea, you may as well just mosey on by. This book is only for those with the intestinal fortitude to handle intense scenes of violence.

This is actually my second read of this and I would definitely recommend reading Desperation and this novel back-to-back. I think the overall experience is enhanced if handled that way. I love them both and for different reasons. A must read combo for King's Constant Readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Regulators.

2006 – Started Reading

57.68% "I'm mean...

F*ed up but brilliant."
June 28, 2019 –
page 350
73.68% "Seth came home with a hitchhiker alright...

June 28, 2019 –
page 406
85.47% "Oooohhhh, people gettin' nasty on Poplar Street.

June 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Lisa Great review! One of my favorite Stephen King books.

megs_bookrack Lisa wrote: "Great review! One of my favorite Stephen King books." Thank you, Lisa! It is so great. Definitely needs more love 🖤🤓

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad I remember when this and Desperation came out. I was greatly confused because King released both of them the same day.

megs_bookrack Chad wrote: "I remember when this and Desperation came out. I was greatly confused because King released both of them the same day."
Right!? When I first read them, I read The Regulators first and then like a year later read Desperation. This time I read them back-to-back with Desperation first and I would highly recommend that. Which one did you read first?

message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad megs_bookrack wrote: "Which one did you read first?"

The Regulators. I think it was my favorite of the two.

megs_bookrack Chad wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Which one did you read first?"

The Regulators. I think it was my favorite of the two."
I always said it was my favorite too but after this time around I would say it is Desperation!