Kellyn Roth's Reviews > Souls Astray

Souls Astray by Kellyn Roth

52072956

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: beautiful-exteriors, books-for-adults, books-for-teens, books-i-wrote, christian-fiction, era-1920s, era-1930s, era-ww1, historical-fiction, own-kindle, own-paperback, rating-pg, romance-clean, romance-general, sad-books, setting-europe, setting-england, rating-pg-13, rating-pg-15
Read 3 times. Last read March 24, 2019 to April 3, 2019.

Okay, since Souls Astray is now available to preorder on Amazon, now is as good a time as any to share a bit about why you might not want to buy the book!

You see, I know I have some younger readers, so I wanted you all to know ... this may not be a good book for you to read if you're under the age of about fifteen, though that's up to you (or your parents).

I've decided to copy my author's note below, which will be at the beginning of every edition of this novel.

***

You’re about to enter a book that, though very tame by secular standards, contains characters and situations who are more real and gritty than in my other novels.

If you’re okay with that, awesome! Read on. If not, I just want to briefly warn you that the characters are messy, even though my description of their actions is as free of details as I can make it.

This book was inspired heavily by books such as The Great Gatsby and All Quiet on the Western Front. WWI through the 1920s is an era I don’t see written about often enough. And in fact, not a lot of people seem to remember much about it.

I was one of those people. When I was eleven or twelve, I was discussing the 1920s with some online folks and called it a “relatively peaceful era.”

Oh, boy! It was anything but. Between the technological advances, recovery from the
war (both physical and psychological), rebellion against tradition, and the gilded glamor, the world was a mess—and anything but peaceful.

When studying WWI and the decades preceding and following it, I came across all the fascinating history of the era. Books like the ones mentioned before as well as television shows like Downton Abbey helped me form a complete picture.

The Great Gatsby in particular is a favorite of mine. It shows so much of the desperation and yet the inability to forget, of how fancy and pretty you can make secret pain look like … and of course, how different everything is after a war.

In short, this is a story of WWI even though much of it takes place afterwards. It's a romance—but it’s also not. It's a novel about coming of age in all the wrong ways.

It’s a story about how real the words “Never Forget” can be for so many. They will never forget … and I should hope we won’t, either.

***

So here's a complete content guide:

Language: none

Violence: a war happens, mentions of death and violence related to it, though none of the POV (point of view) characters actually see it, a man takes a stance against the war and ends up being beaten in an alley for it {not on screen but his bloodied face is discussed later}

Sexual: kisses are discussed and happen (between married and unmarried couples); a kiss leans towards the detailed side (by Christian fiction standards); a couple discusses wanting to go further than kissing but decide not to; a man pressures a woman to have sex with him (implied, he doesn't touch her or anything), but she refuses; a character expresses the opinion that dating for fun is worthless and is promptly ignored by our protagonist (le sigh); a character says she doesn't "sleep around" and this pops up in her life several times, both as friends and "friends" pull her in different directions and as her own morals tend to fluctuate without God in her life; meanwhile, another character believes that even kisses should only be given with serious commitment (ahhh, Troy, you're so perfect).

Other: talk about the Spanish Flu epidemic; a woman is shown dying of it; a family is dysfunctional and tears at each other a lot; lots of people fighting (verbally); people are opposed to God and express disgust for Christianity; the only "Christians" a character knows verbally abuse and judge her; a girl is very rebellious toward her mother (this is actually treated as wrong haha); lots of Christians being judgmental and unforgiving, honestly (though there are some good Christians, too); drinking is mentioned (... there is a vineyard, after all ...); abortion is briefly alluded to, treated as wrong, and a woman is antagonistic towards her child and pregnancy and all that in general (though eventually that does change a bit).

Basically, a lot of messed-up stuff. However, I hope that everything is shown in the light of God and with proper consequences.

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38 & 39)

Note: I've listed anything anyone might find offensive, but since I'm not, oh, opposed to mentioning coffee (completely random example), if I missed something, I apologize. Personally, I do not believe coffee is evil. I will even go so far as to say I support the use of coffee in daily life. But for the sake of the discerning reader:

Other Other: coffee is drunk. No stance is taken on whether it is okay to drink coffee. You could say it's sort of a lukewarm. Except the coffee, which is always hot.

(For those of you who are confused, that was a joke.) (I'm at the point where I have to tell people when I'm joking, lol.)

Anyways, I really appreciate y'all's support, and I wanted you to be informed before you decide to read this book ... or not! I'm fine either way. <3

Love you, God keep you, and have a fantastic day!

~Kellyn Roth, author

website // blog // facebook // twitter // instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Souls Astray.

November 1, 2018 – Started Reading
November 1, 2018 – Shelved
November 1, 2018 –
10.0% "I just hit 5k, so I added this book (launching next May) to celebrate!"
November 3, 2018 –
20.0% "Part 1 is finished at 10,000 words!"
November 6, 2018 –
30.0% "At 18K, I should be almost done, but I'm still in part 2 (part 3 is super long compared to the first parts), so yep. :P"
November 6, 2018 –
30.0% "And that's my 6th death of the month. *bows*"
November 9, 2018 –
50.0% "AND AT LONG LAST ADELE AND TROY ARE ABOUT TO MEET.

IF YOU SEE PIECES OF HEART SHATTERED ON THE FLOOR, THAT'S MINE."
November 9, 2018 –
60.0% "I hit 36K! Time for bed. :P Also, Adele and Troy are so cute. Too bad ... really too bad ..."
November 14, 2018 –
80.0% "I just hit 50K so I'd better be close to done. :P"
November 17, 2018 –
85.0% "Soooo close! Sneak peak:

“I must believe that someday you’ll thank me for protecting our daughter, even from her mother’s selfishness. I must believe that you’re simply depressed, or it’s the anesthesia, or … or something, something has caused my belle Della to act this way. So I will leave now, but I’m not giving up on us. I’ll fight for us, and I hope that, in time, you’ll be willing to fight, too.”

I'm crying."
November 19, 2018 –
90.0% "60,000.

WHEN DOES IT ENDDDD???"
November 19, 2018 –
100.0% "SOULS ASTRAY IS FINISHED!

LS of the novel:
"She guessed she’d always been the patient sort.""
November 19, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2019 – Started Reading
January 31, 2019 –
page 30
"So this will actually be my longest book in term of pages ... because it's 8x5 bound. :P LOL! Gonna be 300-some pages, probably! Hoorah!"
February 2, 2019 –
February 19, 2019 – Shelved as: rating-pg-15
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 24, 2019 –
page 154
46.39% "Slowly but steadily ..."
March 28, 2019 –
page 243
73.19% "Squeee getting so close to done! Little by little."
April 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Joshua (new) - added it

Joshua Reid That's amazing Kellyn. 😄

Kellyn Roth Joshua wrote: "That's amazing Kellyn. 😄"
Thanks, Joshua! :)

Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks) I really appreciate you laying all this out! It's thoughtful and respectful of you to consider your readers and be concerned/conscientious for them.

Also, the lukewarm coffee comment made me laugh.

Kellyn Roth Jana wrote: "I really appreciate you laying all this out! It's thoughtful and respectful of you to consider your readers and be concerned/conscientious for them.

Also, the lukewarm coffee comment made me laugh."

Yep, I don't want anyone to be unpleasantly surprised if I can help it - or to read anything they're not comfortable with!

Haha, yep. :P

message 5: by Hanna (new) - added it

Hanna I can handle a lot ... but coffee? That oversteps my bounds. I'm offended that Christian fiction would even mention such a forbidden drink.

(I cracked up at your joke, btw)

Kellyn Roth Hanna wrote: "I can handle a lot ... but coffee? That oversteps my bounds. I'm offended that Christian fiction would even mention such a forbidden drink.

(I cracked up at your joke, btw)"

Yes, well, this book deals with very tough issues, but I understand that not everyone can look past the blatant coffee-drinking. :-/ It's tough - you have to show sin, but without going into the unseemingly details. I tried to be tasteful, but even with just a little coffee, it tends to lean towards the graphic side ...

(Haha, I'm glad!)

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Kellyn this book sounds amazing!! I cannot wait to read it!! 😆

@Hanna Oh my word!! 😂😂😂

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Coffee! What are you thinking, Kell??? But since it's hot I'll excuse it...

Kellyn Roth Abigail wrote: "Kellyn this book sounds amazing!! I cannot wait to read it!! 😆

@Hanna Oh my word!! 😂😂😂"

Thanks so much, Abigail! <3 <3

Kellyn Roth Hannah wrote: "Coffee! What are you thinking, Kell??? But since it's hot I'll excuse it..."
Haha! :P

Merie Shen LOL "if you're under the age of fifteen"

I literally read the book without expressing any outward emotion at all Kell xD

Kellyn Roth Merie wrote: "LOL "if you're under the age of fifteen"

I literally read the book without expressing any outward emotion at all Kell xD"

LOL, I'm pretty stoic while reading, too. ;)