Shawna's Reviews > Lady Luck

Lady Luck by Kristen Ashley

Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, format-ebook, small-town-lovin, author-kristen-ashley, hero-or-heroine-black-african-ameri, kindle, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-tattalizing, tattoos-piercings-body-art, heroine-classy-lady, heroine-i-adore, heroine-good-girl-nice, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hero-uber-alpha-domineering, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-pissed-me-off-and-turned-me-on, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-brooding, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-alpha‎, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, 2012-reads, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, best-endings-epilogues, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-friendships, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-top-favorites, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, bikes-grease-monkey-hot-rods-racer, controversial-memorable-event-scene, favorite-romance-series, favorites, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-gambler, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-walking-hardon, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, hh-interracial-romance, made-me-cry, married-couples-married-convenience, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, romantic-suspense, steam-3-hot, steam-4-smokin, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, series-colorado-mountain, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, 5-stars-plus, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hero-i-disliked-much-of-the-book
Recommended for: Fans of emotional contemporary romance, lovable heroines, & hot alpha heroes
Read from February 09 to 11, 2012

5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

A bunch of my fellow romance lovin’ Goodreads friends have been reading and raving about Kristen Ashley, and with great reason. Lady Luck is the third book in the Colorado Mountain series, and after reading it, I’m now 3 for 3 with her books being big 5 star winners that I loved.

There’s just something about her stories that grab me right from the beginning and never let go. I especially love how the details, descriptions, and conversations depict such vivid images of the characters and scenes so that it feels like you’re watching a movie in your mind. It’s true that the editing could use improvement and there’s perhaps too much elucidation of inane minutiae, like clothes, jewelry, outfits, rooms, furniture, and common “stuff”. But overall Ashley’s unique writing style and genuine, engaging dialogue bring the story and cast to life. Her books are unusually lengthy and take me longer to read than other authors/books, but then astonishingly when they’re over, I’m sad and still want more. Fortunately, she also gives her readers superb epilogues that more than satisfy.

I absolutely adored Lexie, but I didn’t warm up to Ty quite as easily. I felt bad for him and all that he endured, and his anger, cynical mistrust of women, and desire for vengeance were more than justified. Even so, Ty’s cruel treatment of Lexie in a couple of momentous, heartbreakingly intense scenes really pissed me off. I cried like a baby and felt nearly as emotionally flayed and raw afterward as she did. Lexie’s such an incredibly sweet, loyal, giving, and loving heroine, and I wasn’t sure he’d be able to win me back after he’d hurt her so terribly and unforgivably. Amazingly he did, and with icing and a cherry on top. It certainly didn’t hurt that he’s a smokin’ hot, tortured, badass alpha, which I can never resist.

Crude language doesn’t bother me, but there’s a lot of fuckin’, pussy, and bitch talk in this that got somewhat grating at times. Also, I didn’t really care for Ty’s nickname “mama” for Lexie initially, but it grew on me after a while.

My summary of the Colorado Mountain series so far:
Favorite hero: Max from The Gamble
Favorite heroine: Lexie from Lady Luck
Favorite overall story/book: Sweet Dreams
And I can’t wait for Chace and Faye’s story!

I’m glad she’s got an extensive backlist and more book releases coming because I definitely want to read more by this author! Big 5 stars!

I envisioned hunkalicious Boris Kodjoe as Ty. He doesn’t have enough tats, but I’ve got a great imagination and could mentally tat him up.

Photobucket

I imagined Jennifer Garner or Rachel Weisz as Lexie. I think either of them could play her with the perfect mix of sweet, goof, and sass.

Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Luck.

Quotes Shawna Liked

“<…>Tate fell silent.
Ty didn't.
"Since the day I was released, you knocked yourself out. You had my back, you took care of Lexie when we had our thing then you did what you could to help me sort that. It's important to me that you know I'm grateful. I've been tryin' to figure out how I can show how much but, keep thinkin' on it, nothin' comes to mind and I know why. I get it. You're a man who has everything so there is nothing I can hand you that you want or need. And I get that because I am now that same man. So the only thing I can give you are words and, my guess is, that'll be enough. If it isn't, you name it and it's yours."
"Friends do what I did for friends," Tate returned.
"No they don't, Tate. You did what you did for me because you're you. That's what I'm talkin' about."
Tate ws silent a moment then he said, "Well then, you guessed right. Words are enough."
Ty nodded.
Tate tipped his head to the side and asked jokingly, "We done with the near-midnight in the middle of fuckin' nowhere heart-to-heart?"
Ty didn't feel like joking and answered, "No."
"Then what -?"
"Love you, man," Ty interrupted quietly.
"Learned the hard way not to delay in expressing that sentiment so I'm not gonna delay. You call me brother and I got one who's blood who don't mean shit to me and today, all this shit done, rejoicing and reflecting, it hit me that I got two who aren't blood but who do mean something. And you're one of those two."
"Ty-" Tate murmured.
"I will never forget, until I die, what you did for me and my wife and until that day I will never stop bein' grateful."
"Fuck man," Tate whispered.
"Now, do those words work so you get what you did mean to me?"
Silence then, "Yeah, they work."
"Good, then now we're done with our near-midnight, middle of fuckin' nowhere heart-to-heart," Ty declared, turned, opened the door to the Viper and started folding in.
He stopped with his ass nearly to the seat and looked up over the door when Tate called his name.
"I don't have a blood brother," Tate said. "But you should know there's a reason I call you that."<…>”

Kristen Ashley
“<…>When I was done speaking I felt his body had gone still again, stone still.
And silent.
Then he asked quietly, "Nightmare?"
"Nightmare," I replied firmly.
Ty didn't move.
By a miracle, I held it together.
Then he moved but it was to rest his chin on my shoulder and I closed my eyes because I needed him to go, go, go so I could fall apart again on my own.
Then he said, "Your nightmare, mama, was my dream."
My heart clenched.
He kept going. "Never had a home until you gave me one."
My breath started sticking.
"Never had anyone give to me the way you gave to me."
My breath stopped sticking and clogged.
"Never thought of findin' a woman who I wanted to have my baby."
Oh God.
"Never had light in my life, never, not once, I lived wild but I didn't burn bright until you shined your light on me."
Oh God.
"Whacked, fuckin' insane, but, at night, you curled in front of me, didn't mind I did that time that wasn't mine 'cause it meant I walked out to you."
He had to stop. He had to.
He didn't.
"Your nightmare," he whispered, turned his head and against my neck he finished, "my dream."<…>”

Kristen Ashley
“<…>"No, Ty, you drew it when one second you had your tongue in my mouth, your hands on me and me on my back in your bed and swear to God, swear to God, that was all you had to do, I was this close," she lifted a hand and held her thumb and forefinger an inch apart, "to climax just with that and the next second you took it all away from me. All of it and you fucking know exactly what I'm talking about because the next second I was standing on my feet, you were two feet away but you might as well still have been in fucking California and then I watched you shut down."<…>”

Kristen Ashley
“<…>Days before, seconds after she told him she wanted to have breakfast with her husband and he liked hearing her say that, he liked it too fucking much, he fucked up. Then he kept fucking up. Then he kept fucking doing it. He knew it and he couldn't stop.
Then, the instant she pressed her mouth to his, her soft body in his lap, overwhelmed with emotion and sharing that with him he lost control and he knew he couldn't do that. And the only way he could manage to keep control was to stay the fuck away from her, her sweet smiles, her soft voice, her brightness, that fantastic fucking body. He couldn't hold up. So he stayed the fuck away from her and spent a lot of time thinking about how to encourage her to stay the fuck away from him.<…>”

Kristen Ashley
“<…>"You're part-goof all class. Never walked in a room, any room, with a woman on my arm, any woman, who's got your looks, your style, the kinda beauty you got and the light that shines from you. So I don't get it. I don't get how a woman leads a life full of shit and comes out of it bein' part-goof and all class. That shit's impossible but there you fuckin' are. Part-goof, all class."
I felt my breath coming fast but managed to whisper, "I'm not part-goof."
"You're right. I was bein' nice. You're a total goof."
"Am not"
"Babe, you call me 'hubby'," he pointed out but my breath came faster because he called me "babe" again.
"You are my hubby."
"No one says hubby," he told me.
"I do," I told him.
"All right, I'll rephrase. No one but a goof says hubby."….<…>”

Kristen Ashley
“<…>It was an arms crushing me to his body, heads slanting, mouths opened, tongues invading, toes curling, knees weakening, bones dissolving, deep, wet, hungry, carnal kiss. It seemed to last forever but that forever was not near long enough.<…>”

02/09/2012
02/11/2012
100.0% "Loved it! Review to come."
03/03/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Fantastic review Shawna! KA is definitely a must-read author with her amazing story-telling ability. Great pics btw!

message 2: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Feb 12, 2012 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Boris Kodjoe. Niiiiice! And Ty was a hard character to warm up to. Then he came through. KA certainly knows how to write strong, yet unexpectedly loving alpha heroes.

MelissaB Great review Shawna! Love the pics!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm just starting this book, Shawna, but I had to tell you how much I enjoyed drooling over looking at your pictures!!!

Kristen Fantastic review, Shawna! For some reason, I've been apprehensive about this story. I think Ty worries me a little and I'm afraid I'll end up hating him and the book, but if you (and everyone else) loved him by the end, I'm sure I'll feel the same way. Oh, and I LOVF the pictures you posted.

Shawna Thanks, Jill! It was such an emotionally raw, moving read. I just love KA's stories. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

Thanks, Anna! Isn't Boris Kodjoe scrumptious? I was so bummed when they cancelled the TV show Undercovers. I wasn't sure I could forgive Ty considering how harshly and horribly he acted toward Lexie a few times, but I did.

Thanks, Melissa!

Dhes, I think you're gonna love this one. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

Shawna Kristen, I have to admit that Ty and I had a bumpy road together, especially when he was cruel to Lexie, but knowing everything he went through made it easier to understand and forgive him. If you decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it, too!

Kristen Thanks Shawna. I will definitely be reading Lady Luck. Ty may not end up being my favorite KA hero, but I know it will be a fantastic story. That being said, I may end up loving Ty, you never know. Lol

Shawna True that! Ty's not my favorite hero, but he's still uber hot! LOL!

Eva (TXBookjunkie) Definitely read her backlist. They are all heartbreaking and emotionally fulfilling. I even enjoyed the ones I wouldn't have picked up based on their trope but had to read because I had to get my Ashley fix. I seriously have done nothing else the last 2 weeks except read Kristen Ashley's books every available moment. If I could have read in my sleep I would have.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Loved the review and the pics, Shawna.

message 12: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Nice pictures as well, Shawna. *grin*

KatLynne Amazing review Shawna and loved the pics!

Shawna Eva, I'm definitely planning to read her backlist at some point, probably with Mystery Man being the next book of hers I read.

Thanks, Danielle, Ana, & KatLynne!

message 15: by Tori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tori Great review, and totally agree about Ty. He was very difficult to like, which is kind of important when someone is a main character in a romance novel.

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Awesome review Shawna! I loved this one;)

BTW, do you have a trizillion shelves or what? How do you keep order? I would be too lazy to create the shelves and label all the books :D

Totally besides the point, sorry...

Shawna I just had to add another Ty pic (Vegas Ty) 'cause Boris Kodjoe be looking DAY-UM fine in a suit!

Photobucket

Shawna Thanks, Tori! Yep, I wasn't sure I would be able to feel warm and fuzzy about Ty, especially when he was so awful to Lexie, but he eventually won me over. I also kept reminding myself of what he went through and how unjust and unfair it was, and that helped me understand (and forgive him) easier.

Thanks, Mimi! I love having fun with shelves, but they are definitely a pain in my a@#! LOL!

It's Me - Yvette I, too, am quite stuck on Kristen Ashley's books. Wait until you read her Dream Man series (swoon!). And, the Burg (Crime) series, is one of my absolute favorites. I'll be starting her Rock Chick series soon.

Shawna Yvette, Would you recommend reading her Burg or Dream Man series first?

Splage Love the pics, review and especially the quotes, some of them had me tingling all over again!

Loved both of the Burg and Dream Man series too. I know you asked Yvette, but I am going to be a squatter in your chat, I hope you don't mind. I switched back and forth between the two just to taste different flavors of awesome. Mystery Man was my favorite, but they all were good to outstanding!

It's Me - Yvette Shawna wrote: "Yvette, Would you recommend reading her Burg or Dream Man series first?"

That is damned hard to pick. If I have to pick, I suggest you start on Dream Man first. But, the Burg series is totally EXCELLENT, too!

Shawna Thanks, Splage & Yvette! Sounds like both series are good and that "Mystery Man" is a great choice for my next KA read. :)

Baba  That's one of KA's strength:
Wonderful review, Shawna! Basically I love black men but your pics...mmmm, seriously H.O.T.!!!

Shawna Thanks, Baba! I'm glad you enjoyed the yummy Boris Kodjoe pics! :)

Yvonne Hey Shawna! Well you do know how to hand out the candy and it ain't even Halloween!!!!! I must say Boris is holy smokes yummy - thank you!

message 27: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Shawna!

Shawna LOL, Yvonne! Yep, I'm a candy pusher! I had a feeling you'd appreciate his yumminess! But then again, who wouldn't? I particularly love the one of him in the suit. YOWZA!

Thanks, Scully!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm telling you... I love these men! Love them! Great review!

Shawna Thanks, Dhes! Her heroes are fire alarm smokin' hot and impossible to resist...even when they're acting like major asshats. I can't wait to read more of her books!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I know... I totally know. I don't think I could live with them in real life... maybe I could... but wow. I know.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so enjoying this book right now

Shawna I loved this one! I adored the heroine and it's a real emotional gut-wrencher!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

For real yay

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Great review, Shawna! Wonderful job on the pics!

Shawna Thanks, Lisa Kay!