Rebecca's Reviews > Who We Were

Who We Were by Melissa  Collins

Our lives are shaped by our pasts…who we were, what we did, and what mattered to us back then play a part in determining our present as well as our future, and in Melissa Collins’ newest release, Who We Were, her main characters, Ryan and Quinn, are forced to face this lesson a few times throughout the course of their lives, both while they’re apart and while they’re in one another’s life. And, in the 12 years between their past and their present, there’s been 12 years of unanswered questions…of unresolved conflicts…of what ifs and if onlys, but at the end of the day, both Ryan and Quinn need to determine if they’re strong enough to put the past behind them and focus on who they are now.

Ryan and Quinn’s story is not an easy one to read because both men’s actions and reactions to each other…to their circumstances…to the way the other person makes him feel are problematic at times. Ryan runs away when things get too intense or overwhelming for him and Quinn allows himself to be treated poorly by Ryan on a number of occasions, which is frustrating to experience on the outside looking in because even though it illustrates the reality of Ryan and Quinn’s tumultuous relationship and the strong feelings they have for one another, readers can’t help but want to shake these two to in order to help them realize that if they worked together to resolve the issues that plague them they would be so much happier.

Ryan’s backstory is not an easy one to wade through, and because he has never faced those demons or attempted to deal with just how much his past directs his present, he doesn’t know how to handle everything he feels for Quinn and makes decisions out of fear instead of love, making it a very good thing that Quinn refuses to allow 12 more years to pass before making things right with the only person he wants to be with forever.

Second chance romances are some of my absolute favorite stories, and when it’s a Melissa Collins’ second chance story, I know that it will be one with a lot of heart, overwhelming feels, and quite a few tears by the time that I’m finished reading, and Who We Were delivered on all accounts. I will say that Ryan and Quinn are probably the most frustrating of Collins’ characters, but by the time they work through all that stands in their way, I saw two men who were no longer focusing on what they used to be but doing everything in their power to become the best versions of themselves, proving once and for all that the past no longer holds their present captive.

4 Poison Apples (The Fairest of All Book Reviews)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

November 1, 2018 – Started Reading