Noa ☾'s Reviews > Slayer

Slayer by Kiersten White

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-releases, disappointments, read-in-2019, young-adult, reviewed

my friend : so did you like this book ?
me, sitting in my BTVS shirt, putting down my kazoo after having played a beautiful rendition of the show's theme song :

Slayer takes place at the Watchers Academy (people in charge of supervising and guiding a Slayer).We follow Nina, who after untimely events discovers she is the last Slayer. All her life, Nina has been prepared to become a medic, someone who fixes other, not someone who breaks them. Discovering she is the last Slayer also creates a bigger dent in her relationship with her mother, whom she believed always preferred her twin, Artemis and wanted her to become a Slayer, not Nina.

The world was amazing for mostly one reason : it’s Buffy’s world and I was already sold with the setting. However, the Watchers Academy just wasn't my cup of tea.

Even though I liked the writing style and I felt like it matched Nina’s inner struggles very well, it wasn’t enough for me to get invested. One of the main problems I had was that every character besides Nina (and possibly Artemis) felt one-dimensional and lacked depth. Not once did we rarely get under the skin of one of the other characters. Nina was a meh main character and wasn’t my favorite. Between her constant blaming of Buffy’s action and her rejection of being a Slayer, although understandable, felt exaggerated. I simply couldn’t relate to Nina nor did I feel any type of affection for her or any other characters. What I did like was the fact that Kiersten White was able to play on both Nina and Buffy’s personalities and put in parallel their reactions when they respectively discovered they were the Slayer. For someone who hated Buffy, Nina was surprisingly like her.

Overall, this wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. That being said, I did like Kiersten White’s writing which is why I might give a chance to her other books.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slayer.

November 1, 2018 – Shelved
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
March 31, 2019 –
page 18
4.46% "i've been in the mood to re-watch buffy but i don't have the time so i'm picking this book up instead. i'm praying for this to be good."
April 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 28, 2019 – Started Reading
April 28, 2019 –
page 50
12.38% "trying really hard to get out of this slump i'm in !!"
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: disappointments
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
May 19, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 19, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Mel (Epic Reading) Yeah it didn’t really do much for me either. A big of a slog to finish it. Had the subject been generic and not in Buffyverse I would have given up entirely.