Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Storm Crow

The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read June 23, 2020 to June 27, 2020.

Second read, fully bumped up to 4 stars because it was excellent!

2019 review

3.5/5

CW: scarring, burns, death of loved ones, violence, self-harm (related to religion), and depression

I'm starting off with my overall statement instead of sticking it at the end. Overall, it was a good debut! It had its pros and cons to it, but I'll be sticking around for the next book. I have a feeling that I'll reread this when the time comes for the next book.

Pros:
- Very interesting worlds. They were so in-depth and I loved that Josephson had a glossary in the back about them, including religion, trade, and important people.
- Characters. They were very interesting and I could root for them.
- Queer characters as a norm. It wasn't a huge deal that there were two queer characters and I love the normalization of it.
- Plot was compelling. A country loses everything, a girl (Thia) loses her mother. And now she has to marry the crown prince (Ericen) of the country that destroyed hers. And she wants to fight back.
- Ericen. He's a pro all on his own. He was my favorite character and the one who I got the most attached to, even though he wasn't a great guy.

Cons:
- Took me a while to get into it. It really did take a bit for me to sink into the world. But, I think that it'll be easier when I reread this to remind myself for the second book.
- Love triangle. Bleh. I wasn't here for it.
- Caylus. I don't know why, but my ass still doesn't trust him one bit. I do not trust him. He's sweet, but I do not trust. Like Alexei from Stranger Things. You dig me? (Also, he's the other side to the love triangle.)
- Basically all bad characters in the enemy country. I would have liked to see some more morally grey characters/that the world isn't all evil. (Ericen is the only grey character in the bunch.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm Crow.

November 1, 2018 – Shelved
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: maybe
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 19, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2019 – Started Reading
July 21, 2019 –
page 107
30.4% "Enjoyable but I'm not invested yet."
July 22, 2019 –
page 177
50.28% "If your friend says not to trust someone, maybe believe your friend."
July 23, 2019 –
page 230
65.34% "I love that there are a couple queer characters and it's taken as normal. It's refreshing."
July 23, 2019 –
page 265
75.28% "I like Ericen more than Caylus."
July 24, 2019 –
page 311
88.35% "Holy. Shit. I kinda guessed it, admittedly. But still! And now I have to finish getting ready for work."
July 25, 2019 – Finished Reading
June 23, 2020 – Started Reading
June 23, 2020 –
1.0% "I have an ARC for the second book, so I gotta reread this because I don't remember enough to feel confident just jumping in."
June 23, 2020 –
30.0% "So far, I'm liking this even more on a second read!"
June 24, 2020 –
53.0% "Still don't trust Caylus tbh."
June 26, 2020 –
87.0% "This was the twist I could remember."
June 27, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mary S. R. Ericen was defo my fave too! Glad you enjoyed it more the second time around.

Caidyn (he/him/his) I find him so deep, although I really did like all the characters! It definitely is a 4 star book on the reread. I tend to rate books higher the second time I read them since I can see more details that I missed the first time around.