Melanie's Reviews > There's a Nightmare in My Closet

There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer

Jan 07, 2012

bookshelves: children-s-literature, picture-book, nightmares, bedtime, monsters, humorous-stories, bravery, fear
Read in January, 2012

A young boy is afraid of the monster in his closet. He always closes the closet door before climbing into bed. One night, he decides that he has to get over this fear of the monsters in his closet. He closes the closet door, grabs his pop-cap gun, turns out the lights and jumps into bed. It's not very long before he hears that monster creeping towards him. He turns on the light and surprises the monster. He tells the monster to go away or he'll shoot him. But he shoots the monster anyway. The monster begins to cry which worries the boy that he'll wake up his parents. When the monster won't quite crying, the boy leads him to his bed and tucks him in. Then he himself hops into bed and they both fall asleep. The boy does wonder if there's another monster in his closet, but decides there's only room for 2 in his bed.

A great read-aloud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's a Nightmare in My Closet.