Mary Drover's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

bookshelves: contemporary

I AM DECEASED I LOVE THIS BOOK 5000 STARS RTC

This book is an absolute delight, and the movie is equally as lovely. There were a few points about the movie that I wished were handled differently, but as this is a review about the book, I won't get into those. This follows the story of Juliet Ashton, who receives a letter from Dawsey Adams, a pig farmer on Guernsey Island, which was occupied by the Germans during WWII. He's found a book of hers, and writes to thank her for selling it so that it might end up in his possession eventually. They start a correspondence, and soon, she's writing to many of the islanders about their literary society until she finally decides she just has to see it all for herself.

I flew through this. I really loved the format of letters. It made me want to binge because though there are some natural stopping points, there are no chapters and it makes you just want to continue drifting through it. I loved that each character had a sort of distinct voice. I could tell right away without looking at certain ones who was writing--mostly Juliet, Dawsey, Isola, and Mark. Juliet quickly became a favorite for me, and I know I'll always hold her close to my heart after this. She was hilarious, a joy to fall in love with, and so much fun. The only thing that left me cross was the fact that Juliet and Dawsey never kiss! I'll leave out the actual ending, except to say that wow yes thank you to the movie for leaving in their exact words even if I'm sad I didn't get to witness Dawsey spraining his ankle in his haste to climb down off a ladder. Still, just a single damn kiss was all I wanted. Other than that, this was a fantastic read!

October 31, 2018 – Shelved
October 31, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 10, 2019 – Started Reading
August 13, 2019 –
page 79
August 14, 2019 –
page 203
74.09% "Juliet Ashton is a delight and should be protected at all costs."
August 14, 2019 – Finished Reading