Evgeny's Reviews > The Necromancer's House

The Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy

DNF at 21%.

My dear friends I am sooooo sorry....
Sorry

Every single friend of mine who read the book loved it. The lowest rating they gave was 4 stars. I am talking about people whose book opinions I value and often share. Me? I took the coward's way and DNFed it. There were some signs: the average rating of the book was just below the threshold I consider books to be worthy of at least checking out, but as I said my friends loved it, so...

In any way Andrew Ranulf Blankenship is a recovering alcoholic and a practicing warlock (at least this is what he was called in a blurb). He stole some magic books from the Soviet Union a long time ago (and tried practicing the magic while drunk with predictable results). Now some monsters straight out of Eastern Slavic folklore are coming for him. This includes famous, nasty, strong in magic, and all-around badass Baba Yaga.
Baba Yaga
The said monsters helped me reach page 100, but that was as far as their help extended.

So what exactly did not work for me? I am willing to overlook some author cluelessness when it comes to Russian language, folklore, and general culture. I am completely fine with characters discussing non-existing dialects of Russian; in fact I am more bothered by heavy American accent by supposedly Russian characters speaking Russian in movies. I have harder time overlooking Baba Yaga's using a different mode of transportation (whoever heard about this lady using a pan instead of mortar?), but this also did not affect my rating any.

Harder to swallow was the fact that I could not care less about any of the characters. For all I cared they could all jump into the Great Canyon at the same time. Seriously I would love to have a character to really hate or - failing that - like, but there were not any.

Here I came to the biggest problem I had with the book and deciding factor in me DNFing it. The tale it told in present tense (this is also why I gave the plot description in the same way). I would like to know the justification for this very much. Present tense rarely works well in a story and this time it was especially bad. For some reason this story told in this manner gave me an impression of being disjoint, like a collection of unrelated facts, descriptions, and flashbacks stitched together like a quilted blanket.
Quilted blanket

This episodic flow of the tale prevented me from finishing the book as I felt like I needed to put all the pieces of the story together and I did not feel like dong it (please refer to what I thought about the characters to understand my lack of motivation).

So once again my dear friends, I am really sorry. I promise to be better next time and Christopher Buehlman is not off my radar. I will try to read another book of him provided it is written in past or future (or any of their derivatives) tense. We are still friends, right?
Friends

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necromancer's House.

October 30, 2018 – Shelved
October 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 30, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 10, 2018 – Started Reading
November 10, 2018 –
November 12, 2018 –
November 13, 2018 –
21.0% "For all I care every single character could jump into Niagara Falls. The plot also might improve by soaking in Niagara river. I think."
November 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 2: by Jakk Makk (new)

Jakk Makk Lately I've been rooting for all the wrong characters and hoping they will go head first into the Not-So-Grand Canyon, so I can relate.

Elena We are still friends, right? Weeell, you suffered my annoyingly snarky commentary through the first couple of Nine Princes in Amber books, so as far as I'm concerned we're cool ;) Hey, which reminds me: I have a date with Corwin soon!

message 4: by Forrest (new)

Forrest There is nothing cowardly in DNFing a book. On the contrary, this is courageous. You are taking your time back, seizing life by rejecting that which wastes it. You have done a brave thing for good reasons that you clearly justify in your review. You are awesome!

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this book just wasn’t for you, Evengy :( Here’s hoping your next read is much better!!😘❤️

Evgeny Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Hope it's a good one!!
💖💖💖💖💖"

Evgeny Jakk Makk wrote: "Lately I've been rooting for all the wrong characters and hoping they will go head first into the Not-So-Grand Canyon, so I can relate."

Yes, good characters can make a mediocre book much better :)

Evgeny Elena wrote: "We are still friends, right? Weeell, you suffered my annoyingly snarky commentary through the first couple of Nine Princes in Amber books, so as far as I'm concerned we're cool ;) Hey, which remin..."

I am about to finish the book

Evgeny Forrest wrote: "There is nothing cowardly in DNFing a book. On the contrary, this is courageous. You are taking your time back, seizing life by rejecting that which wastes it. You have done a brave thing for good ..."

Thank you for the support Forrest. It was a real bummer that all of my friends liked it.

message 10: by Evgeny (last edited Nov 22, 2018 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Evgeny KAS wrote: "Sorry this book just wasn’t for you, Evengy :( Here’s hoping your next read is much better!!😘❤️"

Thank you KAS! My next book (I already finished it) is excellent!

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) This is quite outrageous, I must say. And so terribly unfriendly of you. You should have finished the book, and then rated it 5 stars, no matter how you felt about it. That's what a real friend would have done.

Evgeny ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "This is quite outrageous, I must say. And so terribly unfriendly of you. You should have finished the book, and then rated it 5 stars, no matter how you felt about it. That's what a real friend wou..."

Me:
description

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Evgeny wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "This is quite outrageous, I must say. And so terribly unfriendly of you. You should have finished the book, and then rated it..."

Evgeny leslie hamod wrote: "You owe no apologies! Your opinions matter!!!!😁😍😘"

Thanks for the encouragement, Leslie!