RJay's Reviews > Elizabeth I

Elizabeth I by Margaret George

F 50x66
Jan 07, 2012

liked it

I eagerly set about reading this tome - the premise of learning about Elizabeth's life from Elizabeth's point of view - was captivating for me. However, I was much dismayed to find the beginning of the book was in the middle of Elizabeth's reign - in 1588 with the threat of the first Spanish Armada.

What could have been in MG's mind to begin the book in such a fashion? Had she planned flashbacks? If nothing else, curiosity kept me reading ... and reading ... and reading, bouncing between episodes related by Cousin Lettice Knowles and Elizabeth. I kept hoping for some deep insights and all I got were report after report about the weather and bad harvests in England. Even the Essex rebellion couldn't salvage me from downright boredom. Although Shakespeare's appearnance now and again was a welcome reprieve!

A sad disappointment, the best I can offer is three stars. I would have given it a "two" but MG deserves something for the research required to take on the task of writing a book of over 600 pages and only covering the latter portion of Elizabeth's life. The best part was learning about Robert Harington's invention of a type of flush toilet. Score one for the game of Trivial Pursuit!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth I.