Bam's Reviews > Here and Now and Then

Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen

bookshelves: time-travel, 2019-netgalley, 2019-reads, scifi-fantasy

*3.5-4 stars

I have a not-so-secret love for time travel fiction so I've read many. What sets this debut novel apart from others is what happens in the past that ties the traveler to it.

Kin works for a secret time-traveling law enforcement agency in the year 2142 and travels back to 1996 on a mission where he is attacked by the criminal he is trying to stop and his return beacon is destroyed.

As far as Kin knows, he is stuck in the past forever, so eventually he builds a new life--falls in love, marries, starts a family. He barely remembers his former life...until the day, eighteen years later, when a strange man appears in his back yard and insists he's there to take him back to the future.

What will happen to Kin's family? Can he pick up the strings of his life in 2142 and forget about 'the past?' The answers to these questions and others make for some fascinating reading.

There are flaws in the story, a few in the plot and some in the characters and how they react to each other emotionally, but I still thought this was an entertaining read, not heavy on sci-fi details. Very good for a debut work by this author.

I received an arc of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review. I apologize for taking so long to read and review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here and Now and Then.

October 30, 2018 – Shelved
page 164
May 5, 2019 –
page 234
May 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Angela M Great review, Bam. I think you liked it a little more.

message 2: by Bam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bam Angela M wrote: "Great review, Bam. I think you liked it a little more."

Thanks, Angela. I do have a soft spot for time travel stories; I find the whole concept fascinating. This one did have some flaws but I still thought it was entertaining.