Libby May's Reviews > The Lost Castle

The Lost Castle by Kristy Cambron

bookshelves: five-stars, i-need-to-have-someday

** spoiler alert ** It was very good. Sooo beautiful. Clean cut, detailed, fairytale dust swirled together with the utter horror of war. It was so well executed.

I loved Aveline and Robert so much. The French Revolution era was just stunningly described and explained and showed. I was completely lost in the wonderland of a duke's son and the vineyard and all the beautiful mess of it. Was the ending a bit cliche? Perhaps, but right before the ending was a heart wrenching bullet of doubt that just leaves you breathless and wailing.

Ellie and Quinn were not my favorite, but they had a very good part of the story and did their job in supporting the plot line and giving an appreciation for it. Carrying them through as the main main characters didn't remove from the value of the story either. As a person I never fell all that much for Quinn, and I didn't know if in a real life situation the two of them would actually live very happily together. But that's just personal opinion. The battle with Ellie's grandma and the mystery were just so beautiful. Elder was Titus, and Julien was his brother and Quinn was his grandson and just all of it was so beautiful! And Quinn wasn't French. Omgoodness tha was so hilarious for me that Quinn was Irish.

And Vi and Julien. Gracious me. They are precious. So precious. Just. That era too, the WW2 but not the average WW2 fiction. From the point of view of a female double agent. The French fighting from the woods, beautiful enchanted woods. Hidden away. Unique POV. It was so fresh. Just as horrifying realistic. And Julien. My Julien. I loved him from the very very beginning.

There was a bit of romance but it was 100% clean and sweet. I was not even for a moment uncomfortable with the way it was executed. There are kisses before marriage but in no way detailed of bothersome. The development of the relationships seemed believable enough, but almost sudden for me I think. For both Ellie and Aveline and Vi all of them seemed to fall for the guys at the same time with the same thought. Did he not feel the way so deeply as it had effected her?

Anyway. I gave it 5 stars so you can tell that I enjoyed it.

Highly recommended for girls 15 and up (there is quite a bit of intense scenes, as it's partially set in WW2 and partially during the French Revolution).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Castle.

October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
October 29, 2018 – Shelved
October 29, 2018 –
page 19
4.95% ""Ellie sighed, letting go of a breath she hadn't realized she'd held..." wait for it... "captive in her chest since the drive over."

*a million headdesks*"
October 30, 2018 –
page 30
November 29, 2018 –
page 93
24.22% "I am soooo excited to be reading again!!!!! Nano sort of stole that pleasure from me during November. 😂
Now, a quote "I assure you this: if your fiancé does come back and dare show his face to the people he abandoned, I'll level a fist so far into his jaw that he shall not remember his own name." 😯😯

And then... HE'S THE DUKES SON?!?"
November 29, 2018 –
page 104
27.08% "Hah. I'm quite enjoying this I think. As maybe predictable as it seems to be I still like it."
page 165
42.97% "Somehow I think that wouldn't have happened... she's betrothed and they are unchaperoned. In that era I don't think nobility would consider crying into another man's shirt no matter how badly they were crying. It's just not accurate.

Sorry, Idk why that bothers me but it does. People in these eras were much much more private than is being expressed."
page 173
45.05% "Quinn has an Irish accent and whenever I read an Irish accent I always read the character Al from The Epic Order of the Seven. But the personality of Quinn the human and Al the cat are completely different! 😂"
page 268
69.79% "I wish they would keep the romance out and the story in. But I'm enjoying and the bit of romance that is here is so sweet and gentle that I can't even decide what I think of it. Is it even romance?"
page 291
75.78% "What's that? Oh. My jaw on the floor. Nothing important."
page 296
77.08% "Phillipe is a BUTTHEAD and he needs to go back to where he came from. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡"
page 353