Matthew's Reviews > Rogue Planet

Rogue Planet by Greg Bear

Jan 07, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: star-wars-legends, abandoned

I really struggled with this. I managed to get near 2/3rds of the way through before I just had to give up. It's a boring mess of a book, and I had no idea what was supposed to be going on. The characterisations were either bland and weak (Seinar, the Blood Carver) or uninventive (Obi-Wan, Anakin). And I couldn't tell you a thing about any of the characters on the planet of Zonama Sekot, because I couldn't even tell them apart.

The living ships were a terrible idea and with the way Greg Bear has written about them, they just don't make any sense. The whole story just doesn't fit in to the Star Wars universe in any way. In fact, Bear has a way of writing that makes even the most simple plot moments difficult to follow.

An example of the confusing writing and weak characters - a conversation between Ke Daiv and Seinar:

"Why did you bring me here?" Ke Daiv asked after a moment. "It is early in the mission."
"So insolent!"

There's nothing insolent about what Ke Daiv asked, it was a simple question. Seinar's apparantly violent reaction makes no sense. In addition, no information is given to the reader about how either of these characters spoke their words. I inferred that Seinar was genuinely shocked and appalled at Ke Daiv's question, but was he? Or was he saying in a sarcastic, joking way? There's no way to tell. All this did was make me confused. In addition, what does it matter how early in the mission it is? None of this information is provided to the reader (at least not in the 200 or so pages I read).

The writing style is like this throughout the book. Give this one a miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rogue Planet.

January 7, 2012 – Shelved
page 64
page 74
January 27, 2012 –
page 85
25.3% "Very boring so far, and confusing from a writing perspective."
January 28, 2012 –
page 97
January 29, 2012 –
page 120
January 30, 2012 –
page 139
41.37% "What the hell is going on in this story?"
January 30, 2012 –
page 157
January 31, 2012 –
page 183
January 31, 2012 –
page 197
58.63% "Officially giving up on this rubbish."
January 31, 2012 – Finished Reading