_'s Reviews > Retaliation

Retaliation by Ryk Brown

bookshelves: fmt-ebook, grp-reviewed, laserchallenge2018, len-novels, owned_no, prime-reading-koll, zz-2018-completed

A great installment to the series with plenty of fast-paced action. The plot lines are coming together nicely, and we are starting to see both a tipping point and an expansion point for the story. The only complaint I have for this book is a similar one I've had before... character waffling, which I'll explain in a bit. Otherwise, I can definitely give this book four stars and call it an Action Packed Read.

Now, on to the details... don't read further if you don't like spoilers. Or criticisms, because I'm about to be a bit critical.

Picking up where the last the book left off, we are dropped right in the middle of a sudden scrap on the new found ally world of... uhm... that place where they went and did the thing. Casaba? Casbon? Where they did the deal for the new-new-new fighter ships. You remember? So yeah, they fight there, then we see them fighting back at the Samurai Planet. Then, more fighting to keep from having to fight more, after which they decide they should go fight more to keep from having to fight more later and also right now.

I know, it sounds complicated, right? But remember, Nathan Scott is a super genius who always know the right thing to do, especially when people who are a lot smarter than him tell him he shouldn't. But he does it anyway, and it works, so there you go. Oh, and he also Captain Kirk's the dangerous missions too. That's because he's both indispensable to the cause because no one would keep fighting if he wasn't alive to lead it, and also because he cannot be seen as not fighting in the front lines because no one would follow him otherwise, and... yeah, that all ties right into the problem I've been having. Waffling logic explained away as a character flaw... in ALL the characters. It's getting old.

I love the books. I love the action. I love the plot twists. I love the tech and the tech advances (although I still don't understand why you have to be pointed in a certain direction to use the jump drive when it's not based on momentum). And I love the characters too, but they are all flawed in the exact same way... Ignore logic and their own previously stated convictions if it's in the name of saving a single individual or pursing a really cool idea/goal.

Sigh. Oh well, nothing is perfect. I just needed to vent that, I guess. Besides, writing is hard. I choose to give the benefit of the doubt and suspend disbelief for the sake of an enjoyable story, which this series most certainly is.

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retaliation.

October 29, 2018 – Started Reading