Josiah's Reviews > Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning

Wisdom and Eloquence by Robert Littlejohn

bookshelves: education, best-of-2018

One of the best books on classical teaching that I've read--mostly because this book is extremely practical. It's not just about the theory of classical education or why we need to teach this way--instead it jumps right into what it looks like to implement a classical education effectively as a teacher. And between the mutual experiences of the authors, they have a lot of material to draw on.

I particularly enjoyed their critique of Dorothy Sayer's presentation on classical education, since the more I've grown as a classical teacher, the more flawed I've realized her famous presentation is. I didn't agree with the authors' claim that the Trivium are meant to be subjects not cross-subject paradigms, as it goes against what Aristotle argues in his Art of Rhetoric about the nature of Rhetoric and Dialectic. However, I agreed with their critique of Sayer's strict developmental-model of the classical education and with their critique of her use (or lack thereof) of the Quadrivium.

Taken as a whole, this was quite good and very practical. I really liked their focus on designing curriculum from 12-K, not K-12. Recommended to any classical educator out there.

Rating: 4.5 Stars (Excellent).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wisdom and Eloquence.

October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
October 29, 2018 – Shelved
October 29, 2018 –
page 61
27.23% "I'm more-or-less on a kick of reading all the books I can find on classical education right now. Rather illuminating to see just how many disagreements there are within the movement."
November 6, 2018 – Finished Reading