Joanna Larum's Reviews > Shadow Crimes

Shadow Crimes by Michael Hambling

This is only the second Michael Hambling book I have read but I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first one. In Dorset, a retired prison officer is found dead, although his wife insists he had been ill for a long time. They had had a very good life together, so good that the police wonder how he managed to pay for it all on his salary. Then a woman police detective goes missing and there is a race to see if they can find her before she is murdered.
Sophie Allen is the detective in charge of the case with her Sergeant Barry Marsh. They are trying to do away with the amount of smuggling of drugs and mobile phones into the prisons in their area which is leading to many problems for the prison staff. The police know that some of the staff are guilty of 'turning a blind eye' and are possibly being paid for this blindness but they have to tread carefully. When one of Sophie's team realises that the smuggling is being organised by one person and probably affects prisons outside their area, Sophie knows that they have to get to the bottom of the matter and find the brains behind the huge operation.
The story is riveting and the writing style is such that the reader cannot put the book down. I was enthralled from the first page and would recommend to all lovers of police procedural books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Crimes.

October 27, 2018 – Started Reading