Jon Kartago Lamida's Reviews > Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made

Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by Jason Schreier

Written by Kotaku editor, this is an interesting reading for anyone want to learn how to live in game industry from several anecdotes that is coming from recent some recent games.

Some gist from the books:
* Game development is becoming more difficult and expensive as hardware getting better but gamer expectation of a good game is also keep increasing
* It is common to work long hours in this industry up to 100 hour a week in the moment called as crunch-time when milestone is behind schedule
* Many games project are started without strong story in the beginning and many changes are expected during the project and project cancellation are not uncommon
* Creativity in the game industry depends on many parties, usually publisher or whoever has the most money

The books are divided into chapter based on the games.

* Pillars of Eternity
* Shovel Knight
* Destiny
* The Witcher 3
* Star Wars 1313

Each chapter is disjointed and can read in random order. I read all except Pillar of Eternity and Star Wars 1313 because I have never hard about the game at all.

I like the Stardew Valley story the most where we can learn that you can achieve anything if you are persistence enough. The chapter tells the story of how Eric Barone, spend about 4 years writing the game and all of the assets single-handed.

The other memorable chapter is The Witcher 3. The only franchise from CD Projekt, a Polish game development company but is getting very popular because of the very large open world area and good game mechanic. I have heard the game even before reading this as one fans of open world game. I decided to purchase the game after reading this chapter, although I decided to refund after seeing the game trailer which is too violence for me.

Shovel knight is also interesting because the game is developed by group of friends that were working in another game studio but decided to work together to make NES style platformer like nothing that exist before. So like Stardew Valey, at this era, we still can make simple 2D successful game with indie budget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Sweat, and Pixels.

Finished Reading