Adrienne B's Reviews > Wreath Between the Lines

Wreath Between the Lines by Daryl Wood Gerber

bookshelves: 2018

As a newcomer to the Cookbook Nook Mystery Series by Daryl Wood Gerber, I found Wreath Between the Lines a fun, engaging Christmas read. There was plenty of action to the plot and Jenna is a friendly and sweet character with maybe more than her share of curiosity. Because I am new to the series I didn't fully understand Jenna and her father's relationship but her father seems to be supportive of all her investigative actions even while he is away on vacation.

The plot jumps right into a murder which happens at Jake Chapman's home, a rich millionaire who happens to be a friend of the family. Suspicion about the motive for the murder, Jenna jumps right in to solve the case and find out why it appears Jake was the intended target of the attack. This is the point in the story where I find my first major critique. I am surprised at how quickly Jenna accuses everyone around her. She doesn't seem to have a filter in who she suspects as a criminal and often confronts people directly. I think the story loses a bit of its credibility with Jenna's immature investigative tactics. This is the first reason I have only given the novel a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

My second major critique would be wordiness. There are too many descriptions and unnecessary details added which downplay some of the action in the plot. For instance, when Jenna is running to help Jake whose friend has been murdered and strung up by Christmas lights, why do we get a description of Jake's detached garage? I just feel as though some long descriptions of characters and places are unnecessary or awkwardly placed. It feels like the writing is overly detailed to the point where it is excessive. Some of these things might still be edited out before the final copy so I haven't given too much weight to that in my rating.

All in all, I think I would be happy to give another one of Daryl Wood Gerber's books a try and would definitely not hesitate to recommend this as a quick and spirited Christmas read.

I also want to thank NetGalley and Beyond the Page Publishing for an advanced copy of this e-book to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wreath Between the Lines.

October 28, 2018 – Started Reading