Kristen Burns's Reviews > Trail of Lightning

Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

3.5 Stars

Review:
I enjoyed this book but don't have a ton to say about it, so I'll make this short and sweet.

The ownvoices Native American rep was really cool! This book was so immersed in Navajo/Diné culture and mythology. Everything from the language to the setting to the supernatural powers to the beings of legend, like the trickster Coyote. It's not a culture I know much about, but I enjoyed getting to read about it.

The protagonist was one I felt for. She felt like she was just a killer and a monster and nothing more, but she still wanted people to see more in her, even though she pushed them away. She had a tough outer shell, but her heart was in the right place, and I really did feel bad for her every time she revealed to the reader just how much she was hurting.

There was also monster fighting in a post-apocalyptic setting and a bit of romance. I was expecting the book to be more fun for some reason, but it actually had quite a serious tone, what with Maggie's brutal past and her reclusive nature.

I can't say the book left a huge impression on me, but I think it was just one of those "it's me, not the book" things. If this sound good to you, I say give it a try!

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes monster slaying, Native American mythology and culture, and female MCs who are kickass with hard outer shells but good hearts.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trail of Lightning.

October 28, 2018 – Started Reading