Karith Amel's Reviews > Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World

Simply Tuesday by Emily P. Freeman

bookshelves: faith, nonfiction, santa-cruz

I didn't love how this was written. I often felt that Freeman's metaphors were a bit overworked (lacking in clear natural connections), and she seemed more comfortable telling rather than showing (only rarely venturing to give her points the flesh of actual narrative, of examples drawn from her own life). But despite the pitfalls of abstraction, I can't deny that I found many gems in this text. I certainly quoted it more in my writing than anything else I've recently read. There was beautiful truth here, however it was packaged, and I resonated so much with the author's struggles and longings I found myself wondering if Freeman, too, might be an Enneagram 5.

The reminder to live sacramentally - to allow our day-to-day moments to draw us back into awareness of God - is not a new message. But it remains, in some ways, the only message. The most important message. If we can't find God in our present moment, Thich Nhat Hanh warns us, we won't find him anywhere. And Jesus draws our attention back, over and over again, to the Kingdom of Heaven "one inch above the ground."

It's certainly the reminder I most need. The discipline I most yearn to practice. I long for the courage to embrace small; the fortitude to practice presence; the vision to find God in the ordinary Tuesdays of my life.

Freeman gives voice to much of the journey God has been leading me on. So ignore my grumbles about writing style (I'm pretty picky), and read this book. There is much of worth in its pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Tuesday.

October 26, 2018 – Started Reading