Veronica's Reviews > Power to the Princess: 15 Favorite Fairytales Retold with Girl Power

Power to the Princess by Vita Weinstein Murrow

This beautiful looking book holds some radical retelling of beloved fairy tales.

Since my favorite fairy tale and princess is the Little Mermaid, Vita Murrow's retelling hit me the hardest. First of all the Little Mermaid is now a young woman of color. Then her adventures finds her meeting what they call a land princess. No prince in this story! Their cross-cultural exchange is sweet, including how they get the Little Mermaid's grandmother involved.

My next favorite is Beauty and the Beast. This retelling does not eliminate the love story between the two, but it does reframe it in a manner that is more feminist than anything Disney has offered us. It also amplifies the strength of Belle that we see in other versions of the tale.

And seriously, this book is beautiful. The cover is red cloth with gold embossing. It feels so nice and will look great on your bookcase.

Disclaimer: I received this book from a publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power to the Princess.

October 27, 2018 – Started Reading