Paula Kalin's Reviews > The Lost Man

The Lost Man by Jane Harper

After reading the first page I knew that I would love this book. Jane Harper’s writing style pulls me in immediately. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be reading every book she publishes going forward. This is her third book and I loved them all. THE LOST MAN is my favorite.

This is a story about three brothers trying to make a living on their cattle ranches in a very remote part of Queensland in the Australian Outback. Harper makes you feel the heat, the dust clinging to your face and in your eyes, the panic of being out in the isolated landscape without water or food. Life is so harsh here. Neighbors and family are hours away. It’s easy to get into trouble...

The novel is narrated by Nathan. The oldest son of the Bright family. A lonely, isolated man who has little contact with his family or town due to a mistake he made years ago. His brother, Cam, has just been found dead in no mans land where an old stockman’s grave is the only thing in sight for hours. Everyone is shocked. Cameron runs the family ranch. He is well liked by the community. Why would he commit suicide by leaving his well stocked car and head out into oblivion?

This is the story of one brother trying to figure out how and why his brother died. It’s dark. Suspicion runs rampant. Present and past is brought together in pieces to get to the answer. There are only a few characters in the book, but that’s what makes it outstanding. As the story progresses we learn more and more about the brothers, Cam’s wife, their mother, the abusive father who is now gone, and the community.

This is a beautifully written mystery / suspense thriller, and one I highly recommend.

5 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Man.

October 27, 2018 – Shelved
August 21, 2019 – Shelved as: cultural
August 21, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
August 21, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-books
August 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)

Nadia So glad to see another Jane Harper fan! 😁 Amazing review 💕

Paula Kalin Nadia wrote: "So glad to see another Jane Harper fan! 😁 Amazing review 💕"

You bet, Nadia. Loved it! I will have to take a look at your review!

message 3: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard The Dry was one of my favourite thrillers last year, so really looking forward to my next Jane Harper ..... great review Paula :)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fabulous review Paula! A few GR friends have said this is the one that they enjoyed the most... really looking forward to reading it 💕

message 5: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Terrific five star review, Paula!! Hope to tackle this one soon! 💖

message 6: by Wyndy (new) - added it

Wyndy Compelling review, Paula - well done! I’m about due for a “trip” to Australia 😉

message 7: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice Super review, Paula

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Terrific review. Sold me. Already have high expectations from the first two and the lineup of reservations at my rural library where I am on the list.

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi Fantastic review, Paula! I've yet to read one of her novels. They do sound enticing :)

Tammy I think this is her best so far. Terrific review, Paula

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Imogene Reads I’m so glad you loved it!! This book is one of my favorites too.

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I have read only one of her books, but loved it. Will add this one to my list. Thanks for the great review!

Paula Kalin Richard wrote: "The Dry was one of my favourite thrillers last year, so really looking forward to my next Jane Harper ..... great review Paula :)"

The Dry was so good, Richard. I love her style of writing. I will look forward to your next Harper review. Thanks for your kind comment!

Paula Kalin Sandra wrote: "Fabulous review Paula! A few GR friends have said this is the one that they enjoyed the most... really looking forward to reading it 💕"

Thank you, Sandra! I enjoyed this the most, also. So glad it is on your list to read!

Paula Kalin Julie wrote: "Terrific five star review, Paula!! Hope to tackle this one soon! 💖"

Thank you, Julie! Glad to see the book is one you will be reading soon. I will be on the lookout for your review!

Paula Kalin Wyndy wrote: "Compelling review, Paula - well done! I’m about due for a “trip” to Australia 😉"

Thank you, Wyndy! I do enjoy reading about Australia. It’s the only way I will ‘travel’ there. My son keeps telling me about all the venomous reptiles, bugs, and dangerous animals out there!

Paula Kalin J.K. wrote: "Super review, Paula"

Thanks so much, J.K.!

Kathleen Wonderful review for a wonderful book.

message 19: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Paula, glad you enjoyed it so much 💕

message 20: by Beata (new) - added it

Beata This is my kind of novel, enjoyed your review, Paula 🌹😊

message 21: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Wonderful review, Paula and I'm so looking forward to reading this now, especially as you've recommended it so highly. :):)

Paula Kalin Michael wrote: "Terrific review. Sold me. Already have high expectations from the first two and the lineup of reservations at my rural library where I am on the list."

So glad you have this author on your list, Michael. You won’t be disappointed. Terrific.
I have a cabin , now that my parents are gone, with my brother in Cornish, Maine. Are you close by my good friend?

Paula Kalin Candi wrote: "Fantastic review, Paula! I've yet to read one of her novels. They do sound enticing :)"

Candi, I love her books and would recommend highly you try her first, The Dry. She is so good!

Paula Kalin Tammy wrote: "I think this is her best so far. Terrific review, Paula"

I agree, Tammy. It is her best!

Paula Kalin Amy wrote: "I’m so glad you loved it!! This book is one of my favorites too."

So glad! I will have to look at your review!

Paula Kalin Laura wrote: "I have read only one of her books, but loved it. Will add this one to my list. Thanks for the great review!"

You are welcome. Laura! She is so terrific!

Kaceey Wonderful review Paula! Glad you enjoyed this one too!

Paula Kalin Kathleen wrote: "Wonderful review for a wonderful book."

Thank you, Kathleen!

Paula Kalin Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Paula, glad you enjoyed it so much 💕"

Thanks so much, Maureen!

Paula Kalin Beata wrote: "This is my kind of novel, enjoyed your review, Paula 🌹😊"

Appreciate your kind words, Beata!

Paula Kalin Peter wrote: "Wonderful review, Paula and I'm so looking forward to reading this now, especially as you've recommended it so highly. :):)"

Terrific, Peter! You will love this series!

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Paula wrote: "...So glad you have this author... I have a cabin ....Cornish, Maine...Are you close..."

No. Five hrs away in mpst eastern tip of state. Check pics at my profile picture spot for a flavor.

Was impressed with Harper's first, but #2 felt mpre average. Glad this 3rd is on a high plane. Many serials take the author awhile to gain consistent freshness within the familiar frame of the world of characters and place they create. Paul Doiron has a series set in Maine, and they seem to get better in recent years--hope you check them out sometime.

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Paula!!

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Great enthusiasm and a wonderful review, Paula! : )

Brandice Great review, Paula! I’m glad you enjoyed the story - I really liked this one too! :)

message 36: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Wonderful review, Paula! Consider me convinced!

message 37: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B I still need to read this one! Wonderful review Paula!

message 38: by JanB (last edited Aug 23, 2019 06:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JanB Excellent review Paula! I also loved this one, such good writing 💖

Holly Yes!! I really enjoyed this one too!! :D

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie Great review, Paula.

Paula Kalin Michael wrote: "Paula wrote: "...So glad you have this author... I have a cabin ....Cornish, Maine...Are you close..."

I’m going to read Doiron’s latest, Michael. The series looks good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Paula Kalin Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review Paula! Glad you enjoyed this one too!"

Thank you, Kaceey! I will have to re-read your review!

message 43: by Pedro (new)

Pedro I’m glad you loved this, Paula. Brilliant review. 😊

Zoeytron Exceptional review, Paula. Harper is on a roll!

Meredith Wonderful review, Paula! So glad you enjoyed this too!

Dianne Excellent review, Paula! I love Jane Harper, too.

Kathy Great review Paula. I love her style

message 48: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Great review of another brilliant book from this author!

Paula Kalin Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Paula!!"

Thanks so much, Deanna!

Paula Kalin Kevin wrote: "Great enthusiasm and a wonderful review, Paula! : )"

Appreciate your kind words, Kevin!

« previous 1