*The Angry Reader*'s Reviews > The Duke of Shadows

The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran

bookshelves: historicals, 2018, best-of-2018, favorites

As we've talked about before - angst is such a personal thing. Generally, particularly in contemporary romance, I avoid it. (Suanne being my notable exception). I find that angst is frequently created by the plot. A lazy author device where horrible incident after incident is thrown at the characters. Their reactions aren't explained beyond "x just happened so of course this is the reaction." But we don't all react the same to stress.

So when an author is spoon-feeding me her character's reactions with no emotional context I'm resentful and bored. Meredith Duran avoided all of this. There were difficult and harsh events in the story, but they weren't the center of the upheaval. My feelings - sadness and stress and worry and and love for the characters - came from the characters themselves. Julian and Emma were the strength of the story - its bedrock. Organic sentiments were stirred by them - not by the crap happening to them. It's a difficult distinction. It involves an author doing work - making characters that I will love and with whom I will connect rather than writing cringe-worthy high-drama that belongs in a soap opera.

I suspect I've found something magical in Duran - a truly special author. I'm anticipating reading everything she's written. (So much love to Sam for introducing me to Duran and buddy reading with me. I had a blast, friend.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Shadows.

October 27, 2018 – Started Reading
October 27, 2018 – Shelved
October 27, 2018 – Shelved as: historicals
page 14
3.77% "Sam says I have to read it. So I have to read it."
page 26
7.01% "Goodness this writing is lovely"
page 39
page 77
20.75% "Asshole"
page 90
24.26% "This is stressful"
page 104
28.03% "He’s wonderful"
page 129
34.77% "He is an interesting creature"
page 162
43.67% "Oh Emma. My heart hurts for you."
page 178
47.98% "What is this Part 2 nonsense?!?!?"
page 198
53.37% "You dumbass"
page 213
57.41% "Fuck. I’m breathless with that scene. Perhaps the best reunitement scene ever."
page 232
62.53% "Ohhhhhhhh. Welcome to Angstville. Population : Me."
page 257
69.27% "Well I’ve found my Romance of the Year."
page 265
71.43% "They are breaking my heart"
page 285
76.82% "Gracious"
page 296
79.78% "Allowing myself some sleep so I can wake up and read."
October 28, 2018 –
page 320
86.25% "It’s soooooooo romantic"
October 28, 2018 –
page 329
88.68% "Why is he back? He’s the worst."
October 28, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Sam (AMNReader) what are you talking about, fabulous review!

*The Angry Reader* Meh. I don’t think it conveys the Book’s full awesomeness.

Sam (AMNReader) *The Angry Reader* wrote: "Meh. I don’t think it conveys the Book’s full awesomeness."

you should read the comments on my review of this--wait, maybe it's not this it's the SoLL. Either way, that's precisely what a few other reviewers and I discuss.

message 4: by Gaufre (new) - added it

Gaufre Lovely review.

I enjoyed your updates.

Hollis loooooved this book. I've only tackled two of Duran so depending on your next one I want to buddy with you beautiful people.