Natosha Wilson's Reviews > Who We Were

Who We Were by Melissa  Collins

This was such an incredible read. There is so much going on that there is never a dull moment. There is both heartbreak and love. Be warned though there is mention of violence. Melissa Collins did a great job on this book. I will say that there was some parts that came as a surprise to me and in being honest there was parts of the book that I did not like as much as other parts but all in all, they balanced the book.

Ryan is a twin. But as far as twins go Ryan and Patrick could not be anymore different from one another. Patrick is popular and is the one that their parents constantly praise. Whereas Ryan is the one that is a loner and has no interest in sports at all. He constantly feels the burden of not being as good as Patrick. Patrick also takes every opportunity to show Ryan that he is not as good as him as well. Patrick makes sure to humiliate Ryan in every possible way. Not only that but Patrick is physically violent towards Ryan as well. So Ryan is withdrawn and untrusting of others. If his family could not love him, how could he be loved by anyone else?

When Ryan gets paired up with a guy named Quinn for his final in shop class, Ryan is both excited and scared. Quinn has had the biggest crush on Ryan for as long as he has known of him. Now that he has the opportunity to work with him on this project, Quinn is determined to get to known Ryan better. The only problem is Ryan does not open up easily. It takes some time on Quinn’s part to get to know Ryan even just a little but it eventually does happen.

The closer these two become the more withdrawn Ryan also becomes. Quinn tried to tear down the walls that Ryan keeps rebuilding once he gets through one but after Ryan shows up at Quinn’s house one night with bruises all over him, their lives as they know it is about to change. And not necessarily a good or bad way either. Just change. And neither will ever be the same.

This was a good read and this description is just a small part of the overall story that constantly takes different turns and directions. Until the end of the story, you never truly get the whole story as too what is going on in both the past and present. Because of that, you just cannot seem to put the book down because you want to know what is going to happen next. Great read!!

Was given this galley copy for free for an open and honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

Finished Reading