Wendy Darling's Reviews > Don't Stop Now

Don't Stop Now by Julie Halpern

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: will-never-read

I guess all the calm discussions advocating respectful author-reader relations were for nothing, eh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Stop Now.

message 51: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Dear lord. Does she have no shame?

Wendy Darling I mean, at least she deleted the post. But the fact that she wrote it to begin with says a lot. How is it that people don't understand what you write on the internet lives on forever? Buy a notebook and a pen, for heaven's sake.

message 53: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Lexie wrote: "Dear lord. Does she have no shame?"

Based on her two proceeding blog posts (before she deleted them), apparently not. =/

message 54: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Wendy Darling wrote: "She posted a response: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com...

Well, she deleted things but the link is now corrected..."

She doesn't like negativity. This is hilarious!

message 55: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Wendy Darling wrote: "I mean, at least she deleted the post. But the fact that she wrote it to begin with says a lot. How is it that people don't understand what you write on the internet lives on forever? Buy a noteboo..."

If she really felt that she had to complain, she could've done it to a friend. In real life. Not on a public blog where anyone on the Internet could see it. It's just common sense.

Experiment: At least the other authors who've been a part of this madness apologized. She didn't even try to excuse her actions.

Wendy Darling Okay, ready for another long list of wannabe authors to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's supposed to be "funny' but I don't really find much humor in it.

For those who have been following this, you'll note that B.Pam, who is supposedly an advocate of all things GoodReads, is part of this.

The hashtag #occupygoodreads has also been started.

message 57: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Heidi wrote: "Ladies I ran across this today and I want you to know there are some classy authors out there: http://juliekagawa.blogspot.com/2012/..."

They should all learn from this author.
Finally someone thinking before speaking.. In fact writing.

message 58: by [deleted user] (new)

For those who have been following this, y..."

I don't find much humor in it, either. And Pam, I'm staring to think, knew about the Tempest review and apologized just get on the good side again.

The #occupygoodreads hashtag is ridiculous and not funny.

message 59: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Wendy Darling wrote: "Okay, ready for another long list of wannabe authors to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's supposed to be "funny' but I don't really find much humor in it.

For those who have been following this, y..."

Wendy, while this was really inopportune timing and I don't think most people are in the mood for this brand of "humor," I don't think the authors meant harm. I think they were just sort of mocking all the drama that has sprung up.

message 60: by Annika (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:40PM) (new)

Annika Wendy Darling wrote: "Okay, ready for another long list of wannabe authors to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's supposed to be "funny' but I don't really find much humor in it.

For those who have been following this, y..."

... I'm speechless. I have a feeling where their brains should be there is only air.

message 61: by Cory (new) - added it

Cory Some people have no taste. Why do they think that's funny? It only makes them look ridiculous.

Wendy Darling Ashelynn wrote: "And Pam, I'm staring to think, knew about the Tempest review and apologized just get on the good side again. "

Based on previous history, Ashelynn, I'm quite sure of that.

message 63: by tonya. (new)

tonya. Holy moly. What is going ON this week? I am taking people off my TBRs left and right. I've lost so much respect for the YA author community.

message 64: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:51PM) (new) - added it

Wendy Darling Lexie wrote: "I don't think the authors meant harm. I think they were just sort of mocking all the drama that has sprung up. "

Lexie, if an author writes a blog post and calls a reviewer a bitch, if authors deliberately antagonize members of this community, do you feel it is in any way appropriate to make jokes about what happened? I know I would feel awful if I saw that and I was one of the people who was attacked. I think the only people who find this funny are the type of people who are likely to perpetuate this type of behavior in the first place.

message 65: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ari wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Ladies I ran across this today and I want you to know there are some classy authors out there: http://juliekagawa.blogspot.com/2012/......"
My thoughts exactly Ari, This is one author everyone should support!

message 66: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Isn't Pam a trainee agent or something these days? She can suck up to and trash whoever she wants. No real loss. I like how she was trashing GR when the #goodreadsslogan thing happened and now she's all jesting with authors when it comes to mocking this entire mess.

Wendy Darling Kagawa, Caine (previously linked), Moskowitz, and a lot of established professional writers have written about this or reposted previous blog entries about it.

message 68: by [deleted user] (new)

Ceilidh wrote: "Isn't Pam a trainee agent or something these days? She can suck up to and trash whoever she wants. No real loss. I like how she was trashing GR when the #goodreadsslogan thing happened and now she'..."

yup, she is.

Wendy Darling Agreed, Ceilidh.

message 70: by Cara (new)

Cara Wendy Darling wrote: "Kagawa, Caine (previously linked), Moskowitz, and a lot of established professional writers have written about this or reposted previous blog entries about it."

Haha, I just posted a link to one of these author's post. I guess some authors get it and some authors don't *shakes head*. It's their loss really. But this has made me so sad, I am really surprised to be honest.

message 71: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I actually disagree, but respectfully. Despite Pam joining in, Rick Lipman seems to be making a lot of positive statements. Like:

He seems to be completely on the side AGAINST these author antics.

message 72: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Wendy Darling wrote: "Okay, ready for another long list of wannabe authors to keep an eye out for? Maybe it's supposed to be "funny' but I don't really find much humor in it"

Come ON. I need to get like, 2 hours of solid work done today. Can't people hold off on this shit until after 6?

I seriously have to close down GR until I get off work.

Google Ninja is on break until at least 6:30.

message 73: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Pam's thoughts are interesting:

message 74: by Racquel (new)

Racquel And just today Ari, we were talking about world peace. I guess what flew out the window, right?

I'm one of those people who believes everyone should say what they want. If a blogger wants to write a bad review by all means, do so (I do it!) and I'm not about to have double standards so if an author wants to go and wreck his/her career by writing a hate post, again they're entitled to.

Though I hope they do know that no one with decency will read their books now or actually like them. If that's how they are as people, I can guess how there books can turn out...

Wendy Darling Ah hah. Thanks for linking those, Kat, I'm glad to see that he at least wasn't serious. I still think it's in incredibly poor taste, however. (And I'm glad I didn't follow him back when he followed me awhile back.)

Pam, though--I just don't know. That post you linked says all the right things, Ceilidh, but I know all the right things have been said before and then the real attitude comes out elsewhere. I've had a scuffle with her before and I know others have too, but perhaps she's playing nice now that she's actually got representation.

Ugh. This whole thing blows.

message 76: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Oh, come on, guys! That Twitter-stuff was kind of funny! RKLipman's comments had me laughing out loud; clearly he's mocking this whole mess!

Let's not lose our sense of humor over this; maybe the authors thought they should try to lighten the mood with some jesting!

message 77: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I guess I don't mind because I'm the same. When we can laugh about it is when we find peace with it. The YA world could use a laugh.

message 78: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Plus it's a game that brings authors and bloggers together in a positive way.

message 79: by Shannon (last edited Jan 06, 2012 04:15PM) (new) - added it

Shannon Ceilidh wrote: "Pam's thoughts are interesting:

Relevant

Pam's comment two days ago about calling someone a bitch.

Hypocrisy is fun.

Wendy Darling I think I'm naturally suspicious when certain people are involved, especially since some of them have behaved in EXACTLY the same way they're supposedly mocking.

I'll give Lipman a pass, though. Seeing the other tweets puts the other ones into context a bit more.

message 81: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Kat wrote: "I guess I don't mind because I'm the same. When we can laugh about it is when we find peace with it. The YA world could use a laugh."

I would like this comment if I could!

message 82: by Maree (new)

Maree Yay Google Ninja! Thanks for posting so I wouldn't have to miss out on the jazz.

It's not the reader's fault if the book let them down. I mean, obviously a writer can't please everyone, which is why for all the super fans of Twilight, there's someone who loathes it and someone else who has no idea what it is. Though there might not be as many of the latter around these days. Regardless, the review's job is to tell the truth, not make everything sunshine and daisies.

That said, I can understand where the author is coming from as well. It's difficult to put your work out there and have it criticized. It's like your baby. It's difficult, but authors really need to disconnect from their work and not take reviews about their books so personally. If a book isn't for someone, that doesn't mean they hate the author for writing it. Unless they're a psycho, and then the author doesn't have to worry about the review, anyway.

message 83: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Jan 06, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 Kat wrote: "I actually disagree, but respectfully. Despite Pam joining in, Rick Lipman seems to be making a lot of positive statements. Like:

https:..."

Now that you have put in perspective, he's funny. A good laugh is what we need right need to stop the rain of hellfire reviewers-bashing drama. I need to feel an emotion other than anger right now.

message 84: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Racquel wrote: "And just today Ari, we were talking about world peace. I guess what flew out the window, right?"

Let's not lose our sense of humor over this; maybe th..."

message 85: by Racquel (new)

Racquel Ari wrote: World peace? Well they might still want that after they kill all the "bloody bloggers" (I've got british accent from the last book I read, LOL)

You know whats funny? If bloggers reviewed their books & loved them, 5 stars, raving and the whole thing, these authors would be horrified if someone else started this drama and they would side with the bloggers xD

message 86: by [deleted user] (new)

Some day.
But I have the feeling the worse is not over, yet."

me, too. :(

message 87: by Maree (new)

Maree He may be mocking, but he doesn't explain it well. This is why misunderstandings happen, lol.

Wendy Darling As I said, I'm fine with Lipman. I find I'm less inclined to believe that some of the other remarks don't have some very real disdain in them, however, based on past behaviors.

I hope we're done with this mess for awhile.

message 89: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Maree ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ wrote: "He may be mocking, but he doesn't explain it well. This is why misunderstandings happen, lol."

message 90: by Ariana (new)

Ariana Racquel wrote: "You know whats funny? If bloggers reviewe..."

The thing is we need them to write more books and they need us to read their work. We should just get along with each other.. Too much drama, not enough reading.. Not good, not good..

message 91: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Ari wrote: "Sofia wrote: "Oh, come on, guys! That Twitter-stuff was kind of funny! RKLipman's comments had me laughing out loud; clearly he's mocking this whole mess!
Let's not lose our sense of humor over this; maybe th..."

I think just the same. I laughed at some tweets, like the one with "i know what you did the last 1 star review" or something.. We really shouldn't lose our sense of humor. We read for fun, remember? "

Exactly! :D

message 92: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 Ashelynn wrote: "Cillian wrote: "Not to be a pessimist, but things are bound to get even worse. On the bright side (because there's always one) they'll get better.
Some day.
But I have the feeling the worse is not ..."

Me three. Til tomorrow and then we'll see... I wonder if anyone working in the book industry is paying attention to this, excluding the offending authors. I guess I need more confirmation that authors and industry people still care about readers. =/

message 93: by Racquel (new)

Racquel Ari wrote: The thing is we need them to write more books and they need us to read their work. We should just get along with each other.. Too much..."

True that! Obviously these couple of authors don't understand that. *shrugs* THEIR loss!

Wendy Darling Some of those agents should be sent to the principal's office as well, Cillian.

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Sigh. I'm tempted to create a will-never-read shelf as well. At this rate, there will be too many to keep up with by mental count.

message 96: by Maree (new)

Maree Sofia wrote: "But don't you think that would take all the humor out of it? The fastest way to kill a joke is to explain it. ;)"

He doesn't necessarily need to explain it, but the first post with #occupygoodreads needed to be obviously sarcastic, like a few of the others he had. When I went to the #, the ones marked could have gone either way, and as we saw, were easily taken the incorrect way.

Obviously, he can do whatever he wants actually, but if he doesn't want it to be taken wrongly, he should give bigger hints. ;)

Wendy Darling Well, the good news is that the number of great authors will always outnumber the not-so-great ones, Amanda. Same for GoodReads, as crazy as it gets sometimes, the good stuff still outweighs the bad by far.

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Agree 100%.

message 99: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen a lot of authors bashing readers going around, which I just think is awful. I'll be one of the first to admit that bad reviews are hard to take, but everyone has their opinion, and no author should throw it in the reader's face.

Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) Oh wait, don't forget when she said

"Wow. Great. Okay. What really pisses me off is this blog has a ton of followers, who, by the two comments already posted, are just as delightful and loving as the blogger. I know it should not matter what this blogger says about my book (and after just reading her bio, which has much in the way of potential mocking, I am just going to rise above). Because I am already SO FAR ABOVE in my life. Ooh, that was kind of mean, right? But I know this type of person, one who doesn't have their own accomplishments so they have to dog on anyone and anything to make themselves feel bigger and better. That's all bullies are, right? And hilariously, the internet has turned so many of the once bullied into bullies. Now that they have a voice and an audience, it's time for their power to come to fruition. But they're going about it the wrong way."

This has really gotten under my skin today. It's pathetic honestly that an author would go this low and then in her "apology" (if that was even an apology) she is still so nasty.

I definitely will NEVER read a book by her. At this point she might as well write under a different name because this has made my DO NOT BUY list.

Here are all three post if you missed it...