destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Manga Classics: Jane Eyre

Manga Classics by Stacy King

bookshelves: adult, classics, graphic-novels-manga-comics, gothic

Having never read Jane Eyre before, I thought a Manga Classics edition would be a great introduction to the story, and I was not disappointed! The artwork is so lovely (I was especially fond of the chibi styles in certain silly or sweet moments), and the layout and pacing was very easy to follow.

As for the story itself, I actually knew surprisingly little about it, but I was surprised by how hard it was to like Mr. Rochester! I rarely enjoy the love interests in classics, so I shouldn't have been shocked, but he is truly awful through most of the story and I didn't care much for him until the very end (perhaps that's the point, though). There were also much heavier religious overtones than I'm accustomed to in my usual reading, but it's to be expected from classics. Between these two things, the story wasn't a perfect read for me, but I still enjoyed it a great deal and am so happy that I chose the Manga Classics rendition for my first introduction. I'm not sure if I have much interest in reading the full novel, but I'm pleased to know the story now and even plan on purchasing a finished copy of this manga to reread in the future. ♥

Thank you so much to Udon Entertainment for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manga Classics.

October 25, 2018 – Shelved
November 9, 2018 – Started Reading
November 9, 2018 –
page 187
November 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by ✩ Ashley ✩ (new)

✩ Ashley ✩ There are so many classics I haven’t read but “know” enough about to nod my head if a conversation comes up 😂 This seems like a perfect route to be introduced without scaring me away or putting me to sleep!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] ✩ Ashley ✩ wrote: "There are so many classics I haven’t read but “know” enough about to nod my head if a conversation comes up 😂 This seems like a perfect route to be introduced without scaring me away or putting me ..."

Hahaha YES, exactly!! This would be perfect for you, then. :D I'm exactly the same way. I just don't get into too many classics but I've been enjoying these manga versions tremendously and they don't leave out anything important as far as I can tell. There was also an author's note at the back of this one explaining the small liberties she took with making the pacing better.

message 3: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Oooh, "Manga Classics" sounds glorious!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Lyra wrote: "Oooh, "Manga Classics" sounds glorious!"

It is such a cool line! They have a bunch (you can look at the author Stacy King's bibliography on here, she compiles them all) and the art is gorgeous in the 2 I've read so far!!