Beth's Reviews > The Austen Playbook

The Austen Playbook by Lucy  Parker

bookshelves: reviewed

This is just - so sweet. Fits its setting well, too, in an intimate country-ish small-scale way. Parker repeats some elements from previous books (TV interview bombshells, a cast together in an out-of-the-way place) but I think they’re well integrated here. There’s also a similar feeling of claustrophobia to the world, too, which might be accurate, and a sort of uncomfortable make-the-best-of-it PR attitude to almost every public situation, even ones they knowingly walk into, like relationships. But I think the couple is sweet enough and determined enough to get past it all, and there’s something so positive and affirming about that.

I’m not sure how I feel about Sadie - very glad she (view spoiler) On the other hand, I will echo everyone in hoping for a story about Sabrina and Nick. That setup might be overly overt - but I don’t really care.

Actually, there’s a lot about this story that’s overt to the point of being overdone, from family parallels to one too many Harry Potter references, but it’s saved by Freddy and Griff, who just won me over.

I’m pretty sure more distance from this will allow me to pick a bunch more holes, but in the moment, this is really sweet. Not as good as Act Like It - the voice is too familiar, the tics too similar and cynical, the characters too deliberate in comparison - but the familiar warmth is here, too, and it gives the sense that if these crazy kids can make it in this crazy world, maybe this is really it for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Austen Playbook.

Finished Reading
October 25, 2018 – Shelved
October 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Cathy I agree about Sadie, it was just too much especially since we never get more depth to her character. For instance the reason why she is the way she is, I feel it might've helped, knowing that.

Beth Yeah, totally agree! She’s also so - predictable? And weirdly powerful?

Jacob Proffitt Weirdly powerful. Yes, that.

Beth And she's omnipresent, right? Just hovering over everyone's shoulder in every book...

Jacob Proffitt I'd say lurking. But yes.