Lovey Dovey Books's Reviews > Circus Summer

Circus Summer by Kailin Gow

Jan 06, 2012

Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books

Circus Summer is more than what I expected! Kailin Gow fills readers with mystery, danger, and downright scary action. From its brave-hearted characters and underlying tension, the first book of the Circus of Curiosities series will definitely turn heads.

The Circus of Curiosities is a show that must always go on. No matter that its dangerous and violent. No matter that the participants, or contestants, are only teens. The Circus is more than meets the eye and it's not evident to all except for Leela Sinclair and Zachary Niles. The two Sea Cliff residents find their destinies in becoming circus performers, and even beyond if they win.

Leela and Zachary are brave souls. There's much suspicion regarding the circus, an aura of danger and violence surrounds the excitement. That doesn't stop the two from signing up or not quitting when the circus acts become deadly. Not even when they learn about the truth of the Invaders, who are somehow connected to the Circus of Curiosities. The Invaders are the source of strife for many towns across the country referred to as The United. The Invaders, the war, and the fact that the standard of living is not well are a few details that label Circus Summer as a dystopian novel. However, while reading I didn't quite feel post-apocalyptic vibes and I believe that stemmed from not knowing enough about 'the war', what has caused Leela's world to decline, or the parameters of who in the world has been affected by the war. I felt like I was placed in a point of Leela and Zachary's story without knowing what factors brought me to that point.

There are just so many questions regarding the world Circus Summer is set in and Kailin only dishes out a few answers. My brain is all over the place trying to put the pieces together, but I can't because I don't know everything. This is one of my favorite aspects of Kailin's novels. She never reveals too much information right from the beginning of a series, and her writing always hints that there's a bigger picture.

The characters are lovable with perfect traits: protective, determined, and wise. With the exception of the prologue, the entire story is first person perspective. Every so often readers read a chapter from Zachary which is a brilliant way for many sides of the story to come to light. Zachary knows things about the circus that Leela doesn't and his insight helps keep the story on the right track.

Anyone who picks up Circus Summer is in for a wild ride. There's no way to stop reading once started. After discovering so many strange events it's appropriate to say that the Circus of Curiosities series will only get "curiouser and curiouser".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circus Summer.

January 6, 2012 – Shelved
June 27, 2012 – Started Reading
June 28, 2012 –
page 108
39.71% "Jack Simple, I do believe you have a little competition for my heart. Say hello to Zachary Niles <3"
June 29, 2012 –
page 159
58.46% "Getting a little scared! :P"
June 29, 2012 –