Alley B's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jan 06, 2012

bookshelves: faeries, favorites, historical, magic, mythological, paranormal-romance, read-and-reviewed, romance, vampire, ya-series
Read from May 16 to 18, 2012

Welp, this is the last of the reviews for The Mortal Instruments books... until next year when I get to read Clockwork Princess (eep!). While it makes me sad I will no longer be reading Shadowhunter stories, I'm also sure that you, the readers, are utterly sick and tired of my Cassandra Clare book reviews. Don't worry, there are some new and exciting books I've been dying to read and they will be up on the blog as soon as my little eyes can read them.

Once again, I'm not going to give too much of a synopsis for City of Lost Souls, just in case we have some Mortal Instruments virgins out there. I would hate to ruin any part of these stories for anyone. Basically what you need to know is that Jace is in trouble... and I mean big trouble. It's not only the Clave that he's in danger from, but Sebastian has become the largest threat in his life and it's up to Clary and the gang to find a way to save him from Sebastian and himself. They'll have to search for help from the most dangerous of sources. As any family would, they'll do anything they can to save their Jace.

While I know it's always the feeling after reading the next installment of a book sereis to say that it's your favorite, but this one tops my list of Mortal Instruments books for a few reasons:

For me, the best part of this book was the fact that there was a lot of world travel. For some reason, this aspect of the story took it to a whole new level and I could hardly put the book down. We get to see Venice, Paris, Prague and a lot of other really cool places and I loved every minute of their worldly adventures. It showed you that no matter where our characters were in the world, Shadowhunters existed and so did Downworlders and Demons. While I know what you're probably saying, "Well duh, how could you not have known that?" Well of course I knew this, but it was awesome to see our characters somewhere other than New York City.

Next, there was a lot more "sexy time" in this book. And I don't mean just from Clary and her man Jace, but really everyone! We saw couples and non-couples throughout the whole book cozying up to one anther and demonstrating their love to each other. "This was one of your favorite parts of the book," you ask? Yes. Yes it was. I'm a girl and a sucker for a good book romance so who could blame me for being excited to see a little bit more snogging and dark-corner snuggling?

I think the last thing I'm going to talk about is Sebastian, our evildoer. I love Sebastian. I know your all gasping in your seats and wondering how a seemingly nerdy, but nevertheless normal girl like myself could possibly say that they love Sebastian. I'll tell you why... he's one of the best villians I've seen in a while. Unlike many of the evil masterminds we see today, he isn't just some demented figure bent on world destruction who rubs his hands together menacingly and has a maniacal laugh. No, Sebastian is truely a super evil person. He is not only trying to hurt our main characters (which we will never forgive him for), but he is quite literally trying to oppose heaven and heavan's survants. Who does that? In this way, I love Sebastian in that he is one of my top villians of all time. Gotta love that evil little bastard.

Clare really hit this one out of the park for me. I enjoyed this story and I cant wait for everyone to read it!

10 out of 10

Happy Reading :)

-Allison

This review brought to you by Allison at imabibliophobic.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Quotes Alley Liked

Cassandra Clare
“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you remember,” he said, “when we first met and I told you I was ninety percent sure putting a rune on you wouldn’t kill you—and you slapped me in the face and told me it was for the other ten percent?” Clary nodded.
“I always figured a demon would kill me,” he said. “A rogue Downworlder. A battle. But I realized then that I just might die if I didn’t get to kiss you, and soon.” Clary licked her dry lips. “Well, you did,” she said. “Kiss me, I mean.”
He reached up and took a curl of her hair between his fingers. He was close enough that she could feel the warmth of his body, smell his soap and skin and hair.
“Not enough,” he said, letting her hair slip through his fingers. “If I kiss you all day every day for the rest of my life, it won’t be enough.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah,” said Magnus. “Nerd love. It is a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated.”

05/16/2012 page 10