Katie's Reviews > The Way Past Winter

The Way Past Winter by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

Thank you to Scholastic Australia for kindly providing me with a review copy. The Way Past Winter will be published in Australia by Scholastic on 19th February.

I enjoyed the concept of the novel; a world trapped in an eternal winter with themes of fairytale, folklore, a touch of magic and echoes of The Chronicles of Narnia and His Dark Materials.

The Way Past Winter had a strong, atmospheric opening, however as the novel went on I began to struggle with it; it became weaker, overly simplistic and frustratingly predictable and the magic of the beginning was lost.

The characters came across as underdeveloped and stereotypical and everything seemed slightly vague and at times came off as confusing. I am unsure who the intended audience was; the plot was too simplistic and predictable for older readers, but too mature and violent for younger readers.

Despite the issues I had with The Way Past Winter, I did find it a cosy, atmospheric read and great for over the Christmas and winter period.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way Past Winter.

October 25, 2018 – Shelved