megs_bookrack's Reviews > Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer

bookshelves: ya-contemporary-to-read

**4.5-stars**

Rob, a once super popular lacrosse player, has fallen from grace but not on account of his own actions. His father, the local financial planner, was caught red-handed swindling from clients and everyone suspects that Rob knew. Although he did intern at his father's office, he swears he had no idea what was going on.

As everything begins to be taken from his family, his father attempts suicide, leaving him in a state where he requires 24-hour care. Now a social pariah, Rob finds himself at rock bottom.

Maegan, a classic overachiever, has been living in her older sister's shadow for years. Feeling pressured to succeed, Maegan cheats while sitting for her SAT causing consequences for everyone in the room.

Branded a cheater, Maegan sees her social standing slump as well. She now keeps her head down and just tries to make it though each day without too much embarrassment.

When they are matched together for a calculus project, neither Rob nor Maegan are happy about it. Begrudgingly, they begin to meet up to start their project and pretty quickly learn that you cannot always believe what you hear about people.

They begin to confide in one another and discover they have more in common than they ever could have guessed.

Nobody writes teenage angst quite like Brigid Kemmerer. She puts her characters through hell but the growth they are able to achieve is truly a beautiful thing.

Rob and Maegan's relationship has its complications but it is also sweet, kind and pure. The writing is smooth and highly readable. The friendships were so well done. Rob and Owen. So many feelings.

There are a lot of hard-hitting topics included in this too. So much. The thing that I found most moving was the idea of learning to forgive yourself; of not letting one mistake define who you are. I think a lot of us should be reminded of that. Be kind to yourself. We are all human, we all make mistakes and it is okay to let go of that and move forward.

There was also a strong narrative between Maegan and her sister. As with many sisters, they certainly were not lacking in the drama department. I did like how much their relationship evolved over the course of the story and how they learned to see one another as they are, not how they imagine each other to be.

Overall, I felt this book has a lot to offer and is quite moving. I would definitely recommend it to readers looking for a hard-hitting contemporary. Kemmerer is an autobuy author for me and yet again, she did not disappoint! Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call It What You Want.

October 25, 2018 – Shelved
June 12, 2019 –
page 36
June 13, 2019 –
page 70
18.23% "It's happening. I am getting really attached to these kids.
Just like with Letters to the Lost.
I better get my tissues ready 😳"
June 14, 2019 –
page 111
28.91% "Abortion.
A tough topic to tackle.
Not sure how I feel about that little section.
Interesting word choices..."
Sexy.
Heavy..."
June 18, 2019 –
page 254
66.15% "Rob & Owen's friendship...

"
June 19, 2019 –
page 286
June 23, 2019 –
page 333
86.72% "Oh.
My.
God.

This is crushing my soul.

These kids cannot catch a break!"
June 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!

message 3: by Tucker (last edited Feb 14, 2019 07:10AM) (new) - added it

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will"
I love how similar they kept the cover to More Than We Can Tell!

Thanks! I'm sure I will"
Ha!!! I just picked up my mail and you will NEVER guess what was in there?! So happy :)

Jenn I'm so excited for this book! I love Brigid <3

megs_bookrack Jenn wrote: "I'm so excited for this book! I love Brigid <3" Yes!!! I hope you love it. Her writing is so good. Autobuy author for me, for sure. :)

message 8: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will" Ha!!! I just picked up my mail and you ..."

OMG! What a coincidence! Buddy read? 😀

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will" Ha!!! I just pick..."
They must have mailed them all out at the same time! I was planning to read it in May, are you going to wait that long? I could have my arm twisted to read it sooner ;)

message 10: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thanks! I'm sure I will" Ha..."

May works for me!

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you love it!!!"

Thank..."
Marking my calendar! Let's touch base at the end of April to make a plan.
xo

message 12: by Tucker (new) - added it

Tucker megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Tucker wrote: "This showed up in the mail today! I'm so excited!" Nice! I hope you lov..."

Okay! Looking forward to it!