C.G. Drews's Reviews > Making Friends with Alice Dyson

Making Friends with Alice Dyson by Poppy Nwosu

bookshelves: contemporary, aussie-authors, read-2019, young-adult

This was so soft and adorable, the kind of contemporary that tugs at your heart. It captured what it is to be shy so well and w o w if this book isn’t relatable to those of us who work extra hard (especially in highschool) to cover up the fact that making friends is hard. Super hard. Alice is like an Australian-Hermione (or Amy from Brooklyn Nine-Nine) and I adored her instantly. She’s so torn between keeping to herself vs giving a kind word to anyone who needs it. THE PUREST CHILD.

And let’s talk about Teddy Taualai for a second…aka our mischievous, troublesome, softie. He will make and break your heart ok. His and Alice’s friendship started off from a totally unprecedented and spontaneous little “dance off” on the street. It took like a minute — and Alice (the serious-always-studying-quiet-workaolic) brushed it off. But it got caught on camera and went a little viral and now?? Teddy is insisting on being FRIENDS.

Look I love friendship stories. Especially ones between the shy squish and the flirt. Dude, Teddy is such a flirt. And both Teddy and Alice have complicated family problems and they’re drifting towards the end of highschool without quite knowing how they’re going to stand up on their own. They go from bickering to stealing soft glances at each other and — I AM HERE FOR THIS. There’s also an epic girl-friendship storyline for Alice and her childhood bestie…and it isn’t smooth, instead so realistic and I love how it was written.

The ending had my heart in my mouth though. (ALICEEEEEE!!) But it turned out into everything I wanted it to be.

This is the sweetest story of cautious offers of friendship, little acts of kindness, and vulnerable people opening up to those who love them. It has so much heart! Am here for this kind of quality #LoveOzYA contemporary!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Friends with Alice Dyson.

October 25, 2018 – Shelved
October 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 12, 2019 – Started Reading
February 13, 2019 –
page 150
"i just wish to bring to your attention that this is SO CUTE"
February 13, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary