Melanie's Reviews > The Queen's Resistance

The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca   Ross

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, magic, fantasy, arc, buddy-reads, read-in-2018

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The Queen's Rising ★★★★

“Crowning Isolde Kavanagh as the rightful queen was not the end of our rising. It was merely the beginning.”

The Queen’s Resistance is book two in Rebecca Ross’s debut series, which I think is so underhyped and so underappreciated! Seriously, friends, stop sleeping on this series. Because this is exactly the kind of YA fantasy that I’m always on the hunt for; amazing friendships, swoon-worthy romances, medieval setting, unique magic systems, and women coming into their power and embracing what has been taken from them by men who fear that power.

The Queen's Rising focused on our main character, Brienna, at a school that helps young girls hone sought after specializations. And after graduating in one of these sought-after trades (art, music, dramatics, wit, and knowledge) you will work under a patron doing a vast array of different things with your skill set. But Brienna was sent to this boarding school so that she could go into hiding, because the blood that runs through her veins has made her quite the threat to the throne, and the world.

I honestly feel like I can’t say too much about The Queen’s Resistance, because it picks up very soon after the end events of The Queen's Rising, and a lot of things went down. But I will say that Brienna is still very sought-after, but now she has a very strong found family that helps protect her, regardless of what her last name is. And even though the revolution is over, the rebuilding has just begun, and Brienna, and her family want to build something worthy of a legacy.

“If you were a storm, I would lie down and rest in your rain. If you were a river, I would drink from your currents. If you were a poem, I would never cease to read you.”

Cartier also gets his own point of view in this book, and his journey is also not an easy one because of his bloodline. But regardless of the bad things that have happened in his past, he always shows empathy and consideration in every situation. Seeing him and Brienna grow, and grow together, is so beautiful, and their strength and compassion really knows no bounds.

Found family is for sure the shining light of this beautiful tale, but this is also a book about becoming the person you want to be, regardless of the evil acts people have committed with the same last name as you. And this is a story about rising up, and being what you dream of being, not who people expect you to be on account of a last name that you never asked to have.

“Is it only blood that makes a House? Or is it beliefs? What holds people together more? The red in their veins or the fire in their hearts?”

Overall, I can’t wait to see what comes next in this world. I just fell so in love with these characters, and I want to protect them at all costs. Rebecca Ross’s writing is so lyrical and beautiful, and I really have become so attached to this entire world she has created. Again, this series is so underhyped, and this author has really blown me and my expectations away with this debut series.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings for graphic torture, murder, death, loss of a loved one, abuse, child abuse, domestic violence, talk of past rape, sex trafficking, captivity, and slavery.

Buddy read with Lea at drumsofautumn! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Resistance.

October 24, 2018 – Shelved
November 25, 2018 – Started Reading
November 25, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
November 25, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
November 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Omg I thought they weren’t doing ARCs for this one?? 😱😱😱 you lucky goose!

Melanie Megan wrote: "Omg I thought they weren’t doing ARCs for this one?? 😱😱😱 you lucky goose!"

Get on that Edelweiss, my love! 💕xx

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah What is this Edelweiss?

the_queen_of_books24 I want an ARC so badly but I don’t have Edelweiss 😭

Melanie Sarah wrote: "What is this Edelweiss?"

It is an online platform that gets eARCs into reviewer's hands! You should totally check it out! 💕xx

Melanie the_queen_of_books24 wrote: "I want an ARC so badly but I don’t have Edelweiss 😭"

Awh, I'm sorry, love. You should totally make an account! 💕xx

Christina ahhh omg I’m going to sign up for Edelweiss this very instant - I would love to get this as an ARC!! also quick q - how do you get hard copy ARCs?

message 8: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany Soooo Jelly!!!! 🖤🖤

message 9: by Kenzah (new)

Kenzah Faruq The cover looks gorgeous

message 10: by Sheyanne (new)

Sheyanne sally yep

message 11: by Mary-Faith (new) - added it

Mary-Faith So excited to read this!

message 12: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I can't wait to read this! I loves the the first book in the series

Melanie Christina wrote: "ahhh omg I’m going to sign up for Edelweiss this very instant - I would love to get this as an ARC!! also quick q - how do you get hard copy ARCs?"

Hey, love! Physically, I just go to the publisher's website and look up their publicity emails and send out a request! 💛xx

Melanie Brittany wrote: "Soooo Jelly!!!! 🖤🖤"

Seriously, Edelweiss is too amazing! You should sign up and try, love! 💛xx

Melanie Kenzah wrote: "The cover looks gorgeous"

Right? Ahh! So beautiful! 💛xx

Melanie Mary-Faith wrote: "So excited to read this!"

I hope you love it, too, sweetheart! 💛xx

Melanie Emily wrote: "I can't wait to read this! I loves the the first book in the series"

Awh, I hope you love it, too, love! Happy reading! 💛xx

message 18: by Alex's (new) - added it

Alex's Reads & Reviews I really loved The Queen's Rising so I'm glad to hear book two is as good!

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ This is one of the books I'm eager to read in 2019! Glad to hear you loved it :) And haha, we seem to have the same criteria for great YA fantasy :p

message 20: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Melanie wrote: "Emily wrote: "I can't wait to read this! I loves the the first book in the series"

Awh, I hope you love it, too, love! Happy reading! 💛xx"

Who is your favorite character?

Lea (drumsofautumn) “Stop sleeping on this series” PREACH 🙌🏻 Wonderful review, it was an honour to read this with you 😍

Christina ahh amazing review, as usual!! I’m now even more excited to dig into my ARC of this book in a couple weeks!

Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) Agreed 150% that is series is under appreciated!! I hear NOBODY talking about it, and The Queen's Rising was truly one of my favorite books this year! I went into Queens Rising with little expectation and was blown away and it sounds like the second book is just as good! I can't wait to read it soon~!

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "“Stop sleeping on this series” PREACH 🙌🏻 Wonderful review, it was an honour to read this with you 😍"

Always an honor buddy reading with youuu! 💛xx

Melanie Christina wrote: "ahh amazing review, as usual!! I’m now even more excited to dig into my ARC of this book in a couple weeks!"

Awh, thank you, love! I hope you're having happy reading! 💛xx

Melanie Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) wrote: "Agreed 150% that is series is under appreciated!! I hear NOBODY talking about it, and The Queen's Rising was truly one of my favorite books this year! I went into Queens Rising with little expectat..."

Melissa, I swear, my heart just makes more and more room to love you more and more! Yessss! I hope you're currently having happy reading (and not too much crying over QOAAD!), love! 💛xx

Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) Melanie wrote: "Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) wrote: "Agreed 150% that is series is under appreciated!! I hear NOBODY talking about it, and The Queen's Rising was truly one of my favorite books this year! I went i..."

Awww, you are too sweet Melanie~!!! LOL thank you, I'm starting QoAaD tomorrow AND I'M NOT EMOTIONALLY READY but yes I am. BUT NO I'M NOT. You enjoy as well~! See you on the other side. O_O