Kristin's Reviews > We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read 2 times. Last read October 10, 2018 to October 15, 2018.

Listened to this on audiobook...it's the perfect October book! I loved this book when I first read it a couple of years ago. I was wondering if I'd still feel the same about it. And I did! It's just so creepy and disturbing but good. I did find Mericat's constant wishing of people dead even more disturbing than last time. I again marveled at Jackson's ability to make me feel sympathetic toward an unhinged murderer, and to feel such anger and disgust toward the "normal" people. Incredible and it just sucks me in every time.

Previous review:
Oh, this book. I can't even explain how I feel about it. It was so creepy and disturbing and the characters are obviously crazy, but I didn't want to put it down. It was simple but completely engrossing. The writing is so simple and matter-of-fact, despite all of the craziness happening.

The beginning of the book reminded me a bit of the Addams Family...dark and sinister but humorous. (The scene with Uncle Julian and the two visiting ladies was priceless!) But things took a darker turn later on.

Even though the main characters are unhinged, it's amazing how the author manages to make you feel so much sympathy for them. The cruel villagers (that scene made me so angry!) and Charles are obviously meant to be the villains, and I couldn't help but just want the Blackwoods to be left alone in their strange, isolated (but seemingly happy) existence.

I had to give this book five stars because I've rarely been so sucked in to a story before. It's a thought-provoking look at human nature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

March 10, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
September 18, 2015 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
September 18, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own (Paperback Edition)
September 20, 2015 –
page 76
52.05% (Paperback Edition)
September 21, 2015 –
page 111
76.03% (Paperback Edition)
September 22, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites (Paperback Edition)
September 22, 2015 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
October 10, 2018 – Started Reading