C.J. Anthony's Reviews > Secret Light

Secret Light by Z.A. Maxfield

Jan 05, 2012

bookshelves: ebooks-on-my-nook
Read in January, 2012

I literally just finished this and I probably shouldn't review this now because I'm going to babble and gush. But this is truly a book worth gushing over.

(Also warning, lots of spoilers ahead)

If I could use one word to describe this book I would say: beautiful. The writing is so beautiful and the love between the two MC's is beautiful. The writing was so well done, I could completely fall into the world of the story and lose myself in it.

This story takes place in 1955 and is the story of two men who find each other in a time when they must hide who they are and who they love. Rafe in particular has many secrets to hide. He escaped from Austria during the war, but lost his entire family. It is later in the book we discover one of his secrets and while I suspected it, the way it is revealed (a description of a part of his body) was surprising and unexpected.

Rafe is so closed off and lonely and in hiding, it is almost inconceivable that he would ever be able to open himself up to anyone. But it is so heartwarming to watch Ben gently and tenderly get Rafe to let him into his life and into his heart. There is smut and sex but it is handled with the same gentleness as their relationship. Rafe because of his fears and hiding has never even had a relationship with anyone before, and Ben is just so precious with him, taking things slow and easy, always willing to stop if Rafe is uncomfortable. Rafe, however, is incredibly open and receptive to Ben.

I was worried, as I read, that this might not have an HEA. Given the odds these men have to fight to be together in the era they live in, I knew the chance was there. But happily the only conflict at the end of the book was mismatched Christmas gifts. :)

If I could I would give this book more than 5 stars. I'm already dying to reread it again and I'm sure I will many times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Light.