kates's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jan 05, 2012

liked it

I've been avoiding YA since Harry Potter. I caved when I heard the premise of this book because it was enthralling on its own. I know there's a sci fi / dystopian novel w the same premise written many years ago that starts with a B.... But I can't remember the name! Sad. Anyhow, I liked this. It was fast enough that I reclaimed some reading juju. My favorite character was rue... I really hope they don't fuck that up in the movie!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

message 1: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El Are you thinking of Battle Royale? I haven't read it yet myself (it's somewhere on my neverending list of things to read), but I've heard of some comparisons.

I saw previews for The Hunger Games - doesn't look too bad, but it's hard to tell in previews these days.

kates Yes! Nailed it When I stopped for a second to look at other reviews of The Hunger Games, many had accurately pointed out Battle Royale. :)

As a side note, I got an iPhone this past January and it's my first smart phone. I've been using goodreads almost exclusively through an app now and while I like it's convenience, my reviews and general user experience is just different. I attribute my oversight of others' reviews to this.

I digress: I will see the movie. In fact, after finishing some heavy novels this past few wks (see: the chronology of water, in the city of shy hunters), I am excited to pick up Catching Fire to keep the reading magic going. :)