megs_bookrack's Reviews > Saving Meghan

Saving Meghan by D.J.  Palmer

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-to-read, thriller-mystery-to-read, 2019-releases

15-year old, Meghan Gerard, is a very sick girl.
Or is she?

Her mother, Becky, insists there is something really wrong with her but after numerous specialists, and countless tests, there is no definitive diagnosis. In fact, Becky's track record on dragging Meghan to a million different doctors has started to attract attention.

One doctor in particular, calls her out on it. Dr. Nash, a GI specialist, suspects Munchausen syndrome by Proxy as a cause for Meghan's mysterious symptoms and she is not going to sit by while Meghan is further harmed.

Dr. Nash sets up a series of events that forces the removal of Meghan from her parent's home. While this may seem brash, Dr. Nash feels that based on the totality of events, it could also be the best thing to ever happen to Meghan.

The premise behind this book is super intriguing and I wanted to love it. Unfortunately, overall, I was underwhelmed.

It just seemed to drag on and on. I couldn't stand Becky, or Meghan really, and while I am not one who has to love my book characters, I honestly couldn't have cared less what was wrong with Meghan.

There were also some fairly far-fetched plot points toward the end that definitely had me rolling my eyes. This being said, the writing itself was strong so I wouldn't be opposed to reading future books by this author. This one just didn't seem to stand out for me.

As we all know, there's a reader for every book and a book for every reader.

Maybe this will work for you.
Pick it up. See if you can figure out who to believe.
It will definitely have you guessing.

Thank you so much to the publisher, one of my favorites, St. Martin's Press, for providing me with a copy to read and review. As always, I appreciate the opportunity to share my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Meghan.

October 23, 2018 – Shelved
March 24, 2019 – Started Reading
March 30, 2019 –
page 18
4.84% "Early thoughts:
everyone is batshit crazy"
March 31, 2019 –
page 32
April 2, 2019 –
page 53
April 7, 2019 –
page 68
April 10, 2019 –
page 84
22.58% "What is up?! This Mom is f*ed up but so is the daughter! I don't know who to believe!!"
April 11, 2019 –
page 101
27.15% "Yes, Dr. Nash!
My hero!"
April 13, 2019 –
page 130
34.95% "Okay, starting to not feel quite so good about Dr. Nash anymore!
😰😰😰"

April 30, 2019 –
page 346
93.01% "HOLY SHIT!!!"
May 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Tucker (new)

Tucker Hope you enjoy!

megs_bookrack Tucker wrote: "Hope you enjoy!" thank you!

message 3: by Felicia (new) - added it

Felicia Oohhh I have this one, too. Hurry up and read it so I'll know whether to skip it or not. 😉

megs_bookrack Felicia wrote: "Oohhh I have this one, too. Hurry up and read it so I'll know whether to skip it or not. 😉" Hahaha! You first!!! ;)

Jennifer I found it to be a very stressful read. Lots of twists, but angst filled, too. Hard not to be when you consider the subject matter.

megs_bookrack Jennifer wrote: "I found it to be a very stressful read. Lots of twists, but angst filled, too. Hard not to be when you consider the subject matter." Interesting, Jennifer. Stressful in a good way or stressful in a 'I wish I hadn't read that' way...

Jennifer I gave it 3 stars, but probably would have scored it 2 or 2.5 until the last 20 or so pages.

Jennifer So no, not one of my favorite books. Personal opinion only. My tastes do not always run with the pack. Just wanted to say that I found the book to be a particularly stressful one to read because of the hightened emotions all throughout.

megs_bookrack Jennifer wrote: "So no, not one of my favorite books. Personal opinion only. My tastes do not always run with the pack. Just wanted to say that I found the book to be a particularly stressful one to read because of..." Very interesting. Okay, thanks for the heads up. I have anxiety anyway so generally don't search out things that will add to that! I will give a go and see what happens!

Jennifer I hope you enjoy it and the book doesn't cause you any anxious moments. I never want anyone to have bad reading experiences, even if I didn't particularly care for a book. We invest so much time in them as well as so much of ourselves. May this be a 4 or 5 star read for you! 😊

megs_bookrack Jennifer wrote: "I hope you enjoy it and the book doesn't cause you any anxious moments. I never want anyone to have bad reading experiences, even if I didn't particularly care for a book. We invest so much time in..." I feel the same way! and I hope so! Thanks, Jennifer! xo

message 12: by ❤️ Paulette (new)

❤️ Paulette "Happy Reading & I 🙏🙏 you enjoy your read "L💕ve 💙"

Chelsey Haha totally agree! A little predictable but overall I’m a sucker for a good medical / psychological mystery!

megs_bookrack Chelsey wrote: "Haha totally agree! A little predictable but overall I’m a sucker for a good medical / psychological mystery!" I didn't predict the final twist but overall I think I was underwhelmed. I think it was a bit too long...

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat Great review! I just finished this one. Agree with everything you said. (view spoiler)

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Great review! I just finished this one. Agree with everything you said. [spoilers removed]" Yes! Definitely veering it to 90s Lifetime movie territory!! I'm glad I am not the only one who felt that way. Looking at some of the other reviews, we may be in the minority on this one!