Steve Miller's Reviews > Decision Points

M 50x66
Jan 05, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

Perhaps I should put an asterisk by this one, since I actually listened to the book to pass the time at work (yeah, I have one of those jobs where you need to put your earbuds in or you'll lose your mind!). But, I know the book now, so I guess it's okay to say I've "read" it.

I'll start by saying I'm by and large a conservative and fully believe that the liberal mainstream media is little better than Jerry Springer or Pravda. But I don't blindly follow the right either. I liked the way the book was outlined, focusing on the important parts of his life and administration one at a time instead of chronologically putting a story together. I'm also glad he didn't pull many punches. The point in the book where he talks about Congressman Barney Fag's refusal to rein in Fannie and Freddie because Fag felt there was no threat to the housing market was juicy. His upfront talk of having to quit drinking and his DWI was refreshing. Plus, he gave equal parts to September 11, immigration, social security reform, stem cell research, and the banking crisis. I believe President Bush when he says all these different things mattered to him.

Still, he did not convince me about Iraq. Maybe there are still classified issues with that time that don't allow him to speak frankly about it, but I believed then as I believe now that the intelligence gathered about WMD's was flawed because it came from dissidents within Iraq who were desperate for regime change. In short, I believe the United States was duped. President Bush dances around the specifics of this intelligence gathering, and I believe he does so to protect where this intelligence really came from (some current leaders of Iraq, perhaps?). We didn't need to invade Iraq. I afforded President Bush the opportunity to change my mind and he failed.

From "Decision Points" I learned that our last President was a confident, compassionate man with deep convictions. His battle against AIDS in Africa would be the stuff of Kennedy or Roosevelt, had Bush been a liberal. Alas, he is not, and there are points in the book where he feels it necessary to defend himself. I say, like most on the right, that it doesn't matter. History will judge President George W Bush much more fairly than his contemporaries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decision Points.