Ashlee » Library In The Country's Reviews > House of Salt and Sorrows

House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig

LOVE LOVE LOVED THIS. AH! I have so many thoughts. House of Salt & Sorrows swept me off my feet and into a waltz worthy of a masquerade.

I love the way Erin blended the stories of Twelve Dancing Princesses and Annabel Lee into this. I loved the decidedly Crimson Peak and Agatha Christie vibes. This book has an undeniably eerie and gothic atmosphere and I was absolutely living for it.

The story's narrator is Annaleigh, one of twelve daughters of the Thaumas family. Annaleigh has five older sisters, however only one is living. The story begins with the funeral of her sister Eulalie, the latest tragedy in a string of untimely deaths that claimed four of Annaleigh's older sisters and their mother. The people of the Salann Islands have begin to suspect the Thaumas family and their manor at Highmoor are cursed, and the family has begun to suspect so themselves.

However, Annaleigh will not settle for that answer. Curse or not, she believes there is a reason for her family's terrible luck and seeks to discover why. This story blends fantasy, mystery and mythology, with incredible and atmospheric world-building to create a story that will constantly have you swept up into its wondrous landscape and asking "whodunnit?"

As Annaleigh searches for answers, she is joined by her sisters, childhood best friend and a mysterious young man new to the islands. After so many years of mourning, their family seeks a way to move on without seeming callous to their beloved lost and the communities of the islands. Under secret, the sisters attend peculiar balls of grandeur where they dance their shoes to bits and as her sisters become increasingly obsessed, Annaleigh begins to suspect all may not be as it seems.

In addition to the mystery surrounding the Thaumas family deaths, the sisters feeling increasing pressure to find a suitor and marry. Annaleigh herself finds love may not be as unobtainable as she had previously suspected. I thoroughly loved the romance sub-plot in this book and found it interesting and charming, especially as more light is shed about the mystery at the core of this story.

One should know this story depicts some horror elements in possible poltergeists, gore and talk of murder/suicide. I didn't find this to be too much, personally - if anything it really added to the atmosphere of the story, however those that scare easily may want to skip a few paragraphs here and there.

Overall, this story had be guessing until the end. I suspected some of what came to be, but much of it took me by surprise - hat's off to that because I was certain I had it figured out!

And even then (spoilers for the ending!) (view spoiler)

Finally, after reading or listening to this - definitely reread Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee. You'll be in for a treat when you see all of the ways Erin was able to inject the poem into this story.

I listened to the audiobook but also had a review copy provided by Delacorte Press in exchange for an honest review.

Blog || Bookstagram || Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Salt and Sorrows.

October 22, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 20, 2019 – Started Reading
August 20, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "Audiobook!"
August 21, 2019 –
20.0% "This is getting delightfully creepier and eerie."
August 22, 2019 –
34.0% "*flails*"
August 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Yay for you! I'm so excited for this- I adore Crimson Peak, and while I was previously unfamiliar with 12 Dancing Princesses, that sounds really interesting too. :)

Ashlee » Library In The Country Kelly wrote: "Yay for you! I'm so excited for this- I adore Crimson Peak, and while I was previously unfamiliar with 12 Dancing Princesses, that sounds really interesting too. :)"

Crimson Peak is so dark and beautiful! I am really looking forward to this!

Trisha  (The Tea Reader) I got an ARC of this as well and I'm excited to read it.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nicholas That's awesome! So excited to hear your take on it!

message 5: by Mallowmar (new) - added it

Mallowmar Loved your review! I'll definitely read the poem after I finish reading it.