Jim A's Reviews > Covert Warriors

Covert Warriors by W.E.B. Griffin

Jan 05, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

First: The description of this book given above is not even close to the plot of the actual book. The story revolves around the kidnapping of a military attache assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. The main plot revolves around whether the kidnapping was done by a drug cartel or by the SVR. (WEB III did a kidnapping in the second book of this series. I don't think another enhanced the series at all.)

Second: The sub plot involves the president and his ignorance of how things work in both the political and military arena. This aspect of the story is poorly done by WEB IV. Instead of the president having a functioning chief of staff to advise him, he is using his press secretary. Makes no sense.

Third: There are portions of the book that are so poorly written that I had to re-read them a couple of times to try to figure out what was going on. Very poor editing, especially for continuity within the characters. Misidentified characters, and so on.

As one other reviewer stated, "Get it from your local library, don't waste your money."

Tom Clancy reportedly once said "The difference between reality and fiction is fiction has to make sense." This book fails miserably.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covert Warriors.

Claudette I read the other Castillo books and really liked how well the characters were defined, as well as how well the political story was related. In this book however, the characters are actually losing some of their definition, becoming more uni-dimensional, or totally lacking in anything but the one characteristic that the author seems to need to advance the story. For example, the president is an idiot - now really? How does an idiot even become president of the U.S.? Just doesn't make sense.

About the writing, it doesn't even seem this book was written by WEB Griffin at all! It's not like the others in its writing, and as I read all the simple declarative sentences, I was appalled! "This man had a gun. The gun was a such and such. This other man had a gun. The gun was a so and so"... UGH! This is probably the last Griffin book I will read - very very disappointing :(