Christina McDonald's Reviews > Jar of Hearts

Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier

My write-in Goodreads Choice Award for 2018! I absolutely loved this book. Dark, tautly written with flawed and real characters, I couldn't stop reading!

At the heart of the story is Angela Wong, who was 16 years old when she went missing, not to be found until 14 years later. When her remains are found, near best friend Geo's childhood home, we learn that Geo is implicated in her murder. Geo soon begins a 5-year jail sentence, along with her boyfriend at the time, Calvin, who is sentenced to life in jail. But when Geo is released, bodies start turning up in the same spot as Angela's. Calvin has escaped from prison and the police think he's responsible for these murders too. Will he come after Geo next?

Told in 5 parts with 2 main characters, I found everything about this book engaging - the plot, the characters and the writing. There are some moments where Geo flashes back into the past, but it's done so eloquently as to not disrupt from the tension and forward movement of the plot. Plus it's set in Seattle (my hometown!), so obviously I loved that. :)

I'll be looking out for more books by Jennifer Hillier!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jar of Hearts.

October 22, 2018 – Started Reading
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: edge-of-seat-suspense
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: face-meltingly-good
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: great-atmosphere
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: well-written-characters

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Rose I really liked this one as well!

Christina McDonald It's such a great book! Kinda snuck up on me and surprised me by how good it was! :)

DeAnn Finally read this one Christina. I remember your review as particularly compelling. Chilling tale.

Christina McDonald DeAnn wrote: "Finally read this one Christina. I remember your review as particularly compelling. Chilling tale." Glad you were able to read it! Hope you liked it! Chilling is exactly the word for it!