megs_bookrack's Reviews > King of Fools

King of Fools by Amanda Foody

bookshelves: arcs-read

Amanda Foody...

Amanda Foody!
I will never be the same again.

Respect.

Picking up directly after the final events of Ace of Shades, this book, the second in the Shadow Game Trilogy, is so full of action and political intrigue it left my head spinning!

We see the return of our favorite characters from the first book, Enne, Levi, Lola and Jac, and get to meet some great new characters as well.

Welcome, Tock, my sweet little bomber. ((who I picture as Michelle Rodriguez...you're welcome.))

New deals, alliances and deceptions are made, with the final scenes shaking New Reynes to its foundation.

I was really impressed with the maturation of Foody's writing for this one. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the first book but ultimately ended up having some issues with the magic system and world building. All of those slight criticisms are completely absent with this book.

The plotting in this is seamless, the world lush and bold; the magic system didn't feel as prevalent in this one and I never felt confused by what was there. I look at this as a fairly evident improvement over the first novel and I hope other people feel the same way.

In addition to the growth I feel I have witnessed for the author, the growth in these characters was tremendous as well. Enne and Levi both have strong character arcs, Enne most of all. The strategies and ambitions they both show, man, so good.

If you are a Slytherin like me, this series is not to be missed. Also, if you were just okay with the first book, I really hope you continue on. I do not see how this second book could disappoint!

Now, the question of how the heck am I going to survive until the third book is released!?

Thank you so much to the publisher, Harlequin TEEN/Inkyard Press, for providing me with an early copy of this to read and review. You know I will be knocking on your door as soon as I know there are review copies of Book 3!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Fools.

October 22, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 12, 2019 – Started Reading
April 12, 2019 –
3.0% "I've missed you, Levi..."
April 15, 2019 –
April 16, 2019 –
13.0% "Jac.

Foody is really foxing him up in this one...

April 18, 2019 –
April 21, 2019 –
18.0% "Enne claiming her power.
Yaaasss, girl!

April 21, 2019 –
20.0% "Oooooooo, I think I have a new favorite character....hello, Tock.

April 22, 2019 –
April 28, 2019 –
April 29, 2019 –
48.0% "Jac...
You're scaring me, babe.
Don't go dark..."
May 5, 2019 –
62.0% "Why won't my babies just all get on the same page for once!?"
May 6, 2019 –
69.0% "This is really very good.
I feel like Foody's writing has matured a lot since the first book!"
May 8, 2019 –
May 10, 2019 –
80.0% "How the HELL is this going to end!?!?"
May 11, 2019 –
92.0% "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲"
May 11, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
May 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Sage Elizabeth a wonderful view, I adored this book so much.

megs_bookrack Sage wrote: "a wonderful view, I adored this book so much." Thank you, Sage! So good, right!? I cannot wait for the conclusion!

message 3: by Reading (new)

Reading  Rainbow Your reviews are the best! I can visualize your whole reading experience lol

megs_bookrack Reading wrote: "Your reviews are the best! I can visualize your whole reading experience lol" I love this comment! Thank you so much - I am very dramatic and that is what I am trying to get across here! xo

Sage Elizabeth megs_bookrack wrote: "Sage wrote: "a wonderful view, I adored this book so much." Thank you, Sage! So good, right!? I cannot wait for the conclusion!"

Me neither!