megs_bookrack's Reviews > When the Sky Fell on Splendor

When the Sky Fell on Splendor by Emily Henry

liked it

**3.5-stars**

This is a tough one.

A sort of genre-mash of things I love but together seemed a little disjointed but still good...yeah...

A few years back the town of Splendor was wracked by an industrial accident. Pretty much everyone in the town was effected in some way.

The plant were the accident occurred literally employed about half the town. There was an explosion and a lot of people were killed.

As you can for imagine, for a small town, this had horrible ramifications. People had brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and spouses stolen away in an instant.

In part, that is what this book is about. Even though it is around 5-years later, the aftermath continues to be challenging for those remaining residents of Splendor.

We follow a group of teens who have really come together since the accident. The adults in their lives are dealing with their own grief and sort of left the kids on their own to deal with theirs.

This group of kids has come to rely on each other in both meaningful and beautiful ways. It provides the sort of found-family element that I love in a Contemporary story.

As an exploration of grief, this is a touching, heart-wrenching story but there is also a science-fiction element that I found truly interesting.

You can tell that the author really enjoys science, as do I. There are detailed sections on black holes, time/space, fibonacci spirals and the idea of a cosmic consciousness.

I loved the friend group and how supportive they were of one another and I loved the science. However, there was something a little wonky about the way it was all strung together. It didn't feel cohesive to me.

As always, this is 100% subjective and you may read this and think, 'what the hell was Meg talking about?' And that's fine!

Just for me, it felt like the narrative was fighting over what kind of story it was trying to be. It didn't feel like a seamless composition, if that makes sense.

Overall, I am really glad that I read this book. It is definitely a thoughtful exploration of a lot of interesting and important topics. I also think Emily Henry is a very talented woman and clearly a lot more intelligent than I am!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sky Fell on Splendor.

October 22, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 9, 2019 – Started Reading
November 9, 2019 –
page 26
November 10, 2019 –
page 63
16.41% "I am really enjoying this so far. I was worried because the reviews seem mixed. Henry's writing definitely works for me though and I am loving this friendship group!"
November 11, 2019 –
page 86
22.4% "I am loving this story.
It's so interesting and really moving.
The descriptions of grief....ahhhhhh, it gets me."
November 11, 2019 –
page 135
November 13, 2019 –
page 181
47.14% "I know I am a huge nerd but loving the discussions of space and time...

How often do you get the properties of black holes explained in YA fiction?"
November 22, 2019 –
page 201
November 23, 2019 –
page 228
59.38% "Arthur is so selfish!!!

"
November 23, 2019 –
page 269
70.05% "The first half versus the second half of this book feel totally different to me...anyone else feel this way when reading this?"
November 25, 2019 –
page 298
November 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle First I've heard of this one. Thanks for putting this one on my radar, Megs! It sounds amazing! :)

megs_bookrack Michelle wrote: "First I've heard of this one. Thanks for putting this one on my radar, Megs! It sounds amazing! :)" You're most welcome! I read the synopsis and started salivating! ;)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Really? I’m interested.

megs_bookrack Laura wrote: "Really? I’m interested." Right!? It sounds really fun. :)

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Nice review megs. 🙂

megs_bookrack Barbara wrote: "Nice review megs. 🙂"