Eric Mesa's Reviews > Katamari Damacy

Katamari Damacy by L.E. Hall

liked it
bookshelves: crowd-funded

I think I just had unreasonable expectations for this book. It's one of my favorite games. The book was very late to be delivered which also made me long for it even more. While I learned some neat stuff in it, it didn't quite have what I'd come to love from a lot of the other Boss Fight Books, like Chrono Trigger. Many of the other books were deeply personal, talking about how the games brought them closer to their siblings or helped them deal with being trans or blew them away. This one felt like it was at a bit more of a distance compared to the best of the books in this series.

That said, 3 stars in GR means "liked it" and I did indeed like it. It was neat to learn about the Japanese stereotypes that the King of all Cosmos was subverting, the way the game was somewhat of a tribute to the old rubber suit TV shows (like the one that became Power Rangers in America, but more like the ones from the 70s), the way that Takahashi's brain as an artist and sculptor affected the game he created. It was incredible how there were so many reasons this game shouldn't have happened, including because of Japanese business culture. And yet it came out and it's one of my favorite games and it opened space in the video game world for quirky games when everyone was going for ever more realistic graphics and (often) violence (not that there's anything wrong with that, one of my favorite games is Team Fortress 2).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katamari Damacy.

October 22, 2018 – Shelved
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: crowd-funded
October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
October 29, 2018 –
15.0% "Been waiting so long to read this, I love this game.

Learning about the creator's time at university is neat."
October 29, 2018 –
39.0% "There are so many ways this game night never have been made!"
October 30, 2018 –
47.0% "Japanese business structure makes things a bit tough

Katamari can seem random, but clearly isn't"
October 30, 2018 –
62.0% "We almost didn't get the game in the US.

A chapter on the game's music"
October 31, 2018 –
69.0% "Learning about how the cut-scene family is japanese, how the game is partly homage to the rubber-suit genre, and what the King of All Cosmos represents"
October 31, 2018 –
77.0% "Wow, I did not understand a lot of what the King of Cosmos was a parody of."
November 1, 2018 – Finished Reading