Melanie's Reviews > Lady Midnight

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: angels, demons, fae, fantasy, lgbtqiap, paranormal, romance, shifters, vampires, young-adult, read-in-2018, favorites
Recommended to Melanie by: Emma Giordano

3.) Clockwork Princess ★★★★★
6.) City of Heavenly Fire ★★★★★
*.) The Bane Chronicles ★★★
*.) Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy ★★★

“No one is ever the villain of their own story.”

Lady Midnight was completely worth me reading eleven back-list Cassie Clare titles for. Holy shit, this book was everything. Everything. And honestly this was one of the best things I’ve read all year. I am so in love, friends. This world just gets more complex, the banter gets funnier, the cast gets more diverse, and the stories get more and more enthralling. And this is easily the best book I’ve read from Cassie Clare yet.

But I went into this brand-new series, that has been building up in the previous series for some time now, never expecting the main story to be about a secret murderous cult. Like, the blessings. Basically, in Lady Midnight Emma is still unable to let the mysterious deaths of her parents go unsolved, even though everyone else thinks they were just the first casualties of the start of the Dark War. But it has been five years since then, and the Cold Peace is still being held up by the Shadowhunters, making it so no one can help or work with the fae.

Emma and the Blackthorns are living back at the LA Institute, and upholding that law even though they know it’s wrong. That is, until they get an offer that they can’t refuse. And we are thrown into a world of ley lines, sacrificial killings, necromancer magic, and a baffling puzzle that Emma and the gang need to figure out quickly.

Lady Midnight is truly a book all about forbidden love. It is filled with angst, heartbreak, and pain. But it is so expertly done, that you’ll ask for more and say please while doing so. Cassandra Clare is just perfecting her writing, her stories, her characters, her plot twists, and her diversity with every single book. This book honestly blew me away. Also, yes, you need to read all eleven books leading up to his one, truly.

Please use caution reading the rest of this review if you have not read this book and all the series leading up to this book! And as always, I’m going to do a little mini character breakdown on my thoughts and feelings on all the main characters in this book. Spoilers ahead!

(Perfect art by Loweana - who seriously makes my favorite art for every single fandom; The Cruel Prince, Six of Crows, and now The Dark Artifices!)

Emma Carstairs - My queen, my love, my entire heart. My favorite main character in… forever. I’m not joking, I actually like her that much. Easily my favorite character in all of Cassie Clare’s books. Wow, The blessings. I’m not deserving.

Julian Blackthorn - My soft, sweet boy. Too pure for this world and all the Shadowhunters. I will protect him at all costs. Also, full disclosure, I’ve had a thing for the “dark haired, broody, tortured artist” type since high school and Adrian from Vampire Academy and Julian really is the epitome of that, too. And some of his one-liners? God, I was swooning so hard.

“These pictures are my heart. And if my heart was a canvas, every square inch of it would be painted over with you.”

Mark Blackthorn - Mark Blackthorn is responsible for 90% of the angst I felt in this book. “Why lie?” is now my favorite ending line of every book and I will be haunted. Also, what a bi icon. My heart.

Kieran - My dude really messed up in the middle of this book, but my subconscious just falls in love with all the queer faeries Seriously, it is beyond my control at this point. Plus, you all know that fae princes are literally my greatest weakness in this life, so….

“You are all that exists on the earth and under the sky that I do love.”

Cristina Rosales - What an amazing new character. Cristina is Latinx and from Mexico and the most precious angel in the world. Her and Emma’s friendship was so wonderful and just warmed my heart during every scene.

(Gorgeous art by Haunted Duck Princess!)

Livvy Blackthorn - This sweet little protector. I love Livvy so much, but I’m so scared how she is going to handle possibly being alone.

Tiberius Blackthorn - Ty is honestly one of the best characters I’ve read about in years. Cassie Clare has done such a beautiful job with his character and showing that people on the Autism spectrum just learn and consume information differently; never wrongly. But I don’t want him and Livvy to separate, I’m weak.

Dru Blackthorn - This shy little sweetheart gave me so many feels in this book. And again, I think Cassie Clare creating a thirteen-year-old struggling with body image is something I wish I had when I was thirteen. Every book, every series, every new character, Cassie just impresses me more and more. And I can’t wait to see more of Drusilla.

Octavian Blackthorn - My heart always breaks for Tavvy, because even though he is only seven, all he has ever known is war. I mean, that’s so relatable to our world, and that breaks my heart, too.

Diego Rocío Rosales - I honestly really like Diego, who is also Latinx and followed Cristina from Mexico, but I don’t want him to ruin my polyamorous dreams, but if he’s willing to add to them then I will be the happiest human on Earth. Thanks. But I am really scared to meet Jaime.

Gwyn - Leader of the Hunt and stealer of my heart. Give me everything about this man, because I am highkey ready to call him daddy.

Iarlath - Someone kill this man, quick.

Anselm Nightshade - Vampire and pizza place owner! That combination is going to lead to nothing good.

Arthur Blackthorn - I lowkey dislike Arthur. I know he has been though SOME SHIT, but I just feel so damn bad for Julian every time I think of him, and it just really ruins his character for me.

Johnny Rook - This death was hella brutal. I was not prepared. But I will also say that I was so surprised when this book started out, on page one, with the Shadow Market and introduced us to this character, because I know the short stories that are currently being published are all about this magical place and I can’t wait to learn more.

Kit Rook - AKA: Christopher Herondale. DAMN! I honestly screamed at this reveal. I can’t wait to learn everything about him. Also, this really solidifies that you really should read Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy before starting this book.

Diana Wrayburn - Questionable face tat, but I can’t wait to learn more about her.

Malcolm Fade - If Lady Midnight taught me anything, it is that warlocks are so damn over-powered. Holy moly, the power this dude had. Also, friendly reminder: no body = no death. Okay, thanks, bye.

Annabel - Oh shit. Apparently the 2 AM "u up?" text is powerful. I’m scared, friends.

Tessa & Jem - That “item” that they were after. Shit, son. But seeing Jem build a relationship with Emma? So beautiful, I don’t even have words for it. I really hope that they are in Lord of Shadows more, because I honestly can’t get enough of them.

Clary & Jace - Holy shit, mom and dad are running the NY Institute now? Damn, they grow up fast. Real talk, one of my favorite moments of this book was Jace and Mark’s heart to heart, where he tells him that he has only given witchlight to two people before. Ahhh, the feels.

Izzy & Simon - Um, how are my babies engaged?!?! Ahhhhh! I honestly screamed when this information was presented, even though we didn’t get to see my favorites in this book at all. But still, I am so damn happy, and they deserve the world, and each other, and I’m honestly just overcome with emotions.

And you all knew I wasn’t going to write this long review and not talk more about the budding polyamorous relationship that I think Cassie Clare is building for us. I truly think with my entire body and soul that Cassie Clare wanted to have Tessa, Jem, and Will be in a polyamorous relationship, but it was still not that talked about back when The Internal Devices came out. But, dear reader, I think she is going to right her wrongs and give us the relationship of my dreams. And with two of the partners being fae? Lord, this is my actual dreams.

“It was a sort of love few other people could understand. It was total and it was overwhelming and it could be cruel.”

But I know that Emma and Julian’s forbidden relationship is going to be the actual death of me. The only really negative thing I can say about this book is that I think the laws revolving around parabatai and the age restrictions that make these kids pick lifelong and life-altering relationships is so unbelievable. And let’s be real, Emma and Julian got done so dirty by their forced arrangement. But seeing how this bond is going to… maybe ruin them? Lord, I can’t. I actually can’t. And Mark Blackthorn is just going to intensify the angst, but I’m highkey ready for that!

I always appreciate that the heart of every Shadowhunter novel is about oppression and prejudices that impact everyone; friends, families, entire societies. The Clave is the political force that makes and implements the rules in this world, and much like my own world, many are really harmful, extremely backwards, and very exclusionary. And I love seeing young people fight back against the generation that wants to keep them in these broken cycles that are filled with hate and fear.

Another cool addition that this book gave us was the talk of Scholomance. I feel like I don’t remember this being something in the other books, and it is like a detective school, but Shadowhunter style. Diego already attended it, and it looks like Ty is going to eventually go to it, and I’m just really interested to see more.

“There is nothing more important than love. And no law higher.”

Okay, let’s talk about the sex. First off, birth control runes? Praise/bless. I loved this more than words and Clary is honest to god doing the lord’s work. The sex on the beach. Like, it might be a tiny bit unrealistic (sand is not your friend during sex, I promise) but like, I had to wait 102 books for Jace to whip out that condom in Hell, but Cassie Clare gives us a hot sex scene in this first book of a series? The blessings. And Julian was the virgin and not Emma? The gifts keep on coming. Seriously, you all, I was screaming with joy over everything in chapter eighteen. Also, huge shout out to Solly for sending me the naughty version of the beach scene, because he knows me.

Also, a big shout out to Lea for sending me the short story that is only found in first editions of Lady Midnight! And, friends, it was perfection! Overall, this is one of the best things I’ve read all year and I am so damn thankful that I read all those other books to get to this one. I experienced pure happiness while reading this book, from the first to last page. And I am literally posting this review and running back to my bookshelves to pick up Lord of Shadows!

“I breathe when you breathe, I bleed when you bleed, I’m yours and you’re mine, you’ve always been mine, and I have always, always belonged to you!”

(Beautiful art by Cassandra Jean!)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for murder, death, loss of a loved one, torture, blood depictions, self-harm, anxiety attacks, PTSD, talk of cancer, and graphic violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Midnight.

Quotes Melanie Liked

October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
November 6, 2018 – Started Reading
November 7, 2018 –
page 210
29.17% "I mean, you all know I'm trash for fae princes already, but I am already so in love with Kieran. Holy shit, I need more. 💖"
November 8, 2018 –
page 341
47.36% "I’m literally just screaming “RISK IT ALL” while reading this entire book.

"

( • . •)
/ >❤ u want this?

{\__/}
( • - •)
❤ < \ u must suffer first."
November 9, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
November 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)

message 1: by may ➹ (new) - added it

may ➹ JULY 11TH WHY WAS THAT SO LONG AGO

message 2: by may ➹ (new) - added it

may ➹ i can't believe you didn't quit after the incest i'm so proud of u

message 3: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I wish I was half as fast as you xD

Melanie may ➹ wrote: "i can't believe you didn't quit after the incest i'm so proud of u"

I can't believe... it is already almost Halloween! WHAT? But thank you, bb! 💖xx

Melanie Melanie wrote: "I wish I was half as fast as you xD"

Awh, you are going at the perfect pace, I promise! 💖xx

melissafandomworld Happy reading love! Glad to hear - read your reply on the blog - you're loving it so far! That means you're probably going to love it even more when you continue reading. It only gets better and better in my opinion <3

Melanie melissafandomworld wrote: "Happy reading love! Glad to hear - read your reply on the blog - you're loving it so far! That means you're probably going to love it even more when you continue reading. It only gets better and be..."

Awh, thank you so much, love! I'm 100 pages in and so damn in love! I can't wait to see what the rest of these pages have in store for me! 💛xx

☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness AHA! I knew you would get addicted to these books 💜💜 annd you gave Clockwork Princess 5 stars!?? Woop 💜

Melanie ☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness wrote: "AHA! I knew you would get addicted to these books 💜💜 annd you gave Clockwork Princess 5 stars!?? Woop 💜"

I am 1/2 thought Lady Midnight and.... the most in love! Ahhhhh! Seriously, I am complete Shadowhunter trash now, and I can't believe it, beautiful! 💖xx

message 10: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Can’t wait for the review

♥ Rebecca ♥ I skipped from City of Glass to Lady Midnight and it was fine. I can tell a lot happened but it gave enough backstory that I was able to follow along.

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Hawk Book twin! I’ve been keeping myself updated on your feelings about this and I just love it all! I can’t wait to read this even more now haha 💜💜

message 13: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Ohh and not really related but my copy of this book has blue edging around the pages! 😊

message 14: by Donya (new)

Donya Hii Melanie.can you put me a message?I have a qestion of you but I can't put message for you

Melanie Nick wrote: "Can’t wait for the review"

The last line is going to haunt me forever, Nick. FOREVER! 💕xx

Melanie Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ wrote: "I skipped from City of Glass to Lady Midnight and it was fine. I can tell a lot happened but it gave enough backstory that I was able to follow along."

Honestly? I totally think I could have done it that way, too. I just... *appreciate* the nods more, maybe? But regardless, you valid, bb! 💕xx

Melanie Mel wrote: "Book twin! I’ve been keeping myself updated on your feelings about this and I just love it all! I can’t wait to read this even more now haha 💜💜"

MEL! Oh my gosh, I know with my heart and soul that my book twin is going to love this one! Ahhhh! You have to DM me 24/7 when you start! And I hope youre having happy reading, beautiful! 💕xx

Melanie Rachel wrote: "Ohh and not really related but my copy of this book has blue edging around the pages! 😊"

Oh my gosh! That sounds so beautiful, Rachel! 💕xx

Melanie Donya wrote: "Hii Melanie.can you put me a message?I have a qestion of you but I can't put message for you"

Sure! 💕xx

♥ Rebecca ♥ Melanie wrote: "Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ wrote: "I skipped from City of Glass to Lady Midnight and it was fine. I can tell a lot happened but it gave enough backstory that I was able to follow along."

H..."

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe I should have read them but I just didn’t enjoy any of the characters. I can’t even pick a fave aside from Magnus. I am glad that I stuck with this series tho becuse now that I’ve read book 2 I have so many favourites!

message 21: by Andrea (last edited Nov 10, 2018 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea Valeska I KNOW, RIGHT? That last line is so shocking and intriguing. I absolutely love this book and I'm really happy you loved it too. But, Melanie, how do you read so freaking fast? I mean, it took me 3 years to read all the books in the Shadowhunter Chronicles. Anyway, can't wait for your review! And Lord of Shadows is not as good as Lady Midnight but it'll break your heart all the same.

Lance Omg Lord of Shadows is going to break you

Gelisvb Yes!!! This book is my favorite

Melanie Andrea wrote: "I KNOW, RIGHT? That last line is so shocking and intriguing. I absolutely love this book and I'm really happy you loved it too. But, Melanie, how do you read so freaking fast? I mean, it took me 3 ..."

That last line is haunting me! Hahaha! And I don't know how I caught up with this series so fast! I think I just became too addicted, hehe! But I am so excited for Lord of Shadows! 💕xx

Melanie Lance wrote: "Omg Lord of Shadows is going to break you"

I am 3 chapters in and already broken. But in the best way possible! Ahhh! 💕xx

Melanie Gelisvb wrote: "Yes!!! This book is my favorite"

Yessss! I can't believe how much I loved this one! 💕xx

message 27: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Fantastic Review, Melanie!

message 28: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Senteney I am reading Clockwork Angel , my first time reading Cassandra Clair , I have to admit it's good. I started with this because it is not a first novel, so the writing has had time to develop. I have everything up to the book above, I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I watched 10 minutes of Mortal Instruments .and turned it off. I like harry Potter but not the movies, maybe it's just the adaptations I don't like

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

message 30: by lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

lisa This review has just reminded me so much of how I want to read QoAaD. But you’re not ready for LoS okay? You’re just not. I hope you enjoy it as much as you did LM. 💜 (also Julian makes my heart bleed every time he gets so much as a paper cut okay? I’m not ready to see him in December again. And MARK? Oh god).

By the way, does anyone tell you how much of an aesthetic your images of the books you’ve completed are? Because your pictures look glorious each and every time 😍. (I’m going to stop rambling now 👋🏽).

Lea (drumsofautumn) LOVE IT!!! And the fact that I am now mentioned in THREE of your Shadowhunter reviews???? A true legacy.

Melanie Sumit wrote: "Fantastic Review, Melanie!"

Awh, thank you so much, Sumit! 💖xx

Melanie Barbara wrote: "I am reading Clockwork Angel , my first time reading Cassandra Clair , I have to admit it's good. I started with this because it is not a first novel, so the writing has had time to develop. I have..."

I honestly am so scared to watch the adaptations, but I feel myself craving it more and more. So reading this comment? Hahah! Thank youuuu! I hope you continue to have an amazing reading experience, love! 💖xx

Melanie kat ⚡️ wrote: "ah! i am so glad you love it!! i’m planning a re read next hear of all of her books and i can’t wait ☺️"

Awh, this warms my heart, Kat! I can't wait to watch you reread them all! 💖xx

Melanie lisa wrote: "This review has just reminded me so much of how I want to read QoAaD. But you’re not ready for LoS okay? You’re just not. I hope you enjoy it as much as you did LM. 💜 (also Julian makes my heart bl..."

Oh my gosh, I love and this comment so much, Lisa! Thank you for your kind words! And.... oh my gosh, I am even more scared (and excited) to read LoS! I am three chapters in and I'm like... "SAVOR IT, MELANIE!" but.... it is honestly the only thing I want to read, hahaha! But... I can't wait to read QoAaD with the community! And I can't wait to see how you feel about it! Happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "LOVE IT!!! And the fact that I am now mentioned in THREE of your Shadowhunter reviews???? A true legacy."

You're basically the Emma to my Julian, my parabatai, and I'm also willing to risk it all. 💖xx

Emily This is 100% true: "“Why lie?” is now my favorite ending line of every book and I will be haunted."

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood This is my favorite review from all the one's I've read that you've done on the TMI\ TID and now TDA. You can just feel all the feels!! It's amazing. I'm glad that you loved this so much and in the process you've convinced me to read The Shadow Hunter Academy finally!! THEN I shall re read TDA

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Yes!!! This is my favorite Cassie Clare's series! ;-)

message 40: by KAS (new)

KAS Your enthusiasm for this book is tremendous, Melanie ;) So glad you absolutely loved book one of the spinoff series! Excellent review, my friend!! 😘❤️

Taasia (libraepaintspages) Yes, I really think this is the best Cassie Clare book so far imo!

message 42: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Witts I want to read this book now because of your review, but I haven't read a single one of the previous books. Are they worth a read to get to this spin off series?

Lea (drumsofautumn) Melanie wrote: "Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "LOVE IT!!! And the fact that I am now mentioned in THREE of your Shadowhunter reviews???? A true legacy."

You're basically the Emma to my Julian, my parabatai, and I'm ..."

NO SAND THOUGH PLEASE

Melanie Emily wrote: "This is 100% true: "“Why lie?” is now my favorite ending line of every book and I will be haunted."

When I read it I was like, "OH SHIT!!!!!!" So much enjoyment. I'm so glad that you liked this one!"

I still cannot believe I loved this book so much. Who am I? But I blame you. 💛xx

Melanie Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "This is my favorite review from all the one's I've read that you've done on the TMI\ TID and now TDA. You can just feel all the feels!! It's amazing. I'm glad that you loved this so much and in the..."

Awh! You are too kind, love! I am at the first of Lord of Shadows right now just being A HOT MESS of emotion! Hahaha! I hope you love The Shadowhunter Academy! Let me know your thoughts and feels, sweetheart! And happy reading! 💛xx

Melanie Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Yes!!! This is my favorite Cassie Clare's series! ;-)"

Yesss! Like... this book is legit top five books I've read all year. I can't believe it, Sophie! 💛xx

Melanie KAS wrote: "Your enthusiasm for this book is tremendous, Melanie ;) So glad you absolutely loved book one of the spinoff series! Excellent review, my friend!! 😘❤️"

Awh, thank you, sweetheart! You always make me so damn happy and I feel so blessed to call you my friend! I hope your'e currently having the happiest of reading! 💛xx

Melanie Taasia wrote: "Yes, I really think this is the best Cassie Clare book so far imo!"

Oh shiiiiiit! This makes me so happy though! I am in currently like 15% into Lord of Shadows and just.... wanting to cry! Hahahaha! 💛xx

message 49: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Love the picturr!!

Melanie Naomi wrote: "I want to read this book now because of your review, but I haven't read a single one of the previous books. Are they worth a read to get to this spin off series?"

Awhhhh! Naomi! You are so sweet! And... I really think they are worth it, truly. Reading all of these books has honestly been a highlight of my 2018! And Lady Midnight really and truly made it all worth it! 💛xx

« previous 1