Herlock's Reviews > Half-Moon Investigations

Half-Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer

Jan 05, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, kids

I was looking for some light-hearted stuff to read after a huge dose of books with lots of serial killers and blood. From Eoin Colfer's other books I have read (love the Artemis Fowl series), I knew I wasn't going to get disappointed. And boy, did this book deliver or what.

This is a story of 12-year old detective, who thinks he has seen all the cases a school playground can throw at him. But then, his own boasts about being a detective get him involved in a case against the biggest criminals in the school. And before he knows it, the case has developed into something huge, and he is a fugitive from the law he has helped uphold so many times before. And soon, he is not the only person who is getting injured.

Femme fatale, a huge conspiracy, a scary criminal family and a hardboiled, world-weary protagonist... what more does a detective story need?

If you want a one line review: Why exactly hasn't this been made into a crime noire film yet? I mean, you can almost hear the saxophone in the background while reading, and it's not that hard to imagine all the characters wearing hats either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Moon Investigations.

January 4, 2012 – Started Reading
January 5, 2012 – Shelved
January 5, 2012 –
60.0% "Because if you read one crime noire story, it should be this one, starring a world weary 12 year old detective."
January 6, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2012 – Shelved as: mystery
January 7, 2012 – Shelved as: kids

Alex you call it light-hearted????? The man almost died for god-sake!!!!!!!!!