Mary Anne's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

bookshelves: fiction, bookshelf-bitches

Protect the diamonds. Survive the clubs. Dig deep through the spades. Feel the hearts. These words apply not just to Ed Kennedy and to what he does. It applies to all of us as well.

I went a bit here and there with the rating for this book, but I figured if I was going to go with 4.5 stars, I might as well round up for a few reasons. I will start by saying I was trying to keep my expectations low. I read and loved The Book Thief, and I bought this book thinking that I would love the author. But I knew this would be a different sort of book. Some people like one book but don't like the other, etc. I appear to not fall into that category.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Markus Zusak
“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”

Markus Zusak
“She looks at the swings, and I can see she’s imagining what they’d look like if the kids weren’t there. The guilt of this holds her down momentarily. It appears to be there constantly. Never far away, despite her love for them.

I realize that nothing belongs to her anymore and she belongs to everything.”

Markus Zusak
“When her hands reached out and poured the tea, it was as if she also poured something into me while I sat there sweating in my cab. It was like she held a string and pulled on it just slightly to open me up. She got in, put a piece of herself inside me, and left again.”

Markus Zusak
“If a guy like you can stand up and do what you did, then maybe everyone can. Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of. ”

Markus Zusak
“Of course you're real-like any thought or any story. It's real when you're in it.”

Markus Zusak
“What would you do if you were me? Tell me. Please tell me!
But you're far from this. Your fingers turn the strangeness of these pages that somehow connect my life to yours. Your eyes are safe. The story is just another few hundred pages of your mind. For me, it's here. It's now. I have to go through with this, considering the cost at every turn. Nothing will be the same.”

Markus Zusak
“When he moves, a streetlight stabs him, and the words flow out like blood.”

Markus Zusak
“That was when the world wasn't so big and I could see everywhere. It was when my father was a hero and not a human.”

Markus Zusak
“Big things are often just little things that people notice.”

January 5, 2012 – Shelved
January 5, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
January 30, 2012 – Started Reading
January 30, 2012 – Shelved as: bookshelf-bitches
January 30, 2012 –
page 36
February 3, 2012 –
page 121
33.61% "I am really liking this so far. Just no time to read."
February 7, 2012 –
page 183
February 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Deana Great review :)